Builders hourly rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Learning View Post
    Unwilling to pay market rates... Are you now surmising a female's rate would be less?
    According to the logic of this board, their rate should be higher, cause there's less of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogg View Post
      Serious question, does anybody know any female builders? I'd like to employ one.
      I'm not sure if you're allowed to advertise for a female builder these days.
      Why not run an advert and report back how much flack you cop?

Comment

To the new folks here: no need to scrummage through 10 pages of poorly written replies to my posts, as this sums it up perfectly.

"I told him he was undercharging and that he should hike his rate to $60 an hour, which he did"

Yeah, that's some real market forces at play right there, just lol. Hiking rates for the sake of it.

Now that you've finished your build, you want it to be more expensive for everybody else, so that house prices rise even more.

Would rather just camp on my empty section then throw money away on an overpaid builder. He'd probably just spend all my hard earned on beer and cars anyway.

Serious question, does anybody know any female builders? I'd like to employ one.
        the trouble is people like you dont see the trades as a profession, you dont value them because they dont wear a suit to work and push papers about on a desk all day

Comment

• Originally posted by jimO View Post
          the trouble is people like you dont see the trades as a profession, you dont value them because they dont wear a suit to work and push papers about on a desk all day
          Just lol. Where did this guy come from, the 50's?

Builders don't need to wear a business suit to get respect. Instead they wear sleeveless shirts to show off their huge biceps and stroll around in big metal cap boots. No need for paper work, as they just intimate and frighten their clients to pay up in cash.

They all hang out with each other after work, conspiring with one another. If a client causes trouble, news spreads within the group and you get black listed from every builder. It's like an organised cartel. Your only option is to sell up and leave town.

Why do you think they all drive around in big utes with 22inch blackened rims. That's their way of getting respect. The irony is that almost all of the time the ute is empty and the huge rims make it useless for doing building work.

Meanwhile, the average school principal wears a business suit to work, and carries a mountain of paper work in his brief case. He takes public transport to work and has to join a union to get a decent living wage.

Yeah, OK buddy, a builder is a profession then, just like a hairdresser is a profession too. Call it what you want, it's a job. When I pay someone to do a job, I expect a certain amount of value in return. I can get my haircut at a $10 barber shop, or pay someone $55 at a salon and get my hair washed. The point is that I have a choice and there is competition. That's a market that actually works. Unlike builders, where it's 'Cowboys and Indians' all the time.

Comment

Just lol. Where did this guy come from, the 50's?

Builders don't need to wear a business suit to get respect. Instead they wear sleeveless shirts to show off their huge biceps and stroll around in big metal cap boots. No need for paper work, as they just intimate and frighten their clients to pay up in cash.

They all hang out with each other after work, conspiring with one another. If a client causes trouble, news spreads within the group and you get black listed from every builder. It's like an organised cartel. Your only option is to sell up and leave town.

Why do you think they all drive around in big utes with 22inch blackened rims. That's their way of getting respect. The irony is that almost all of the time the ute is empty and the huge rims make it useless for doing building work.

Meanwhile, the average school principal wears a business suit to work, and carries a mountain of paper work in his brief case. He takes public transport to work and has to join a union to get a decent living wage.

Yeah, OK buddy, a builder is a profession then, just like a hairdresser is a profession too. Call it what you want, it's a job. When I pay someone to do a job, I expect a certain amount of value in return. I can get my haircut at a $10 barber shop, or pay someone $55 at a salon and get my hair washed. The point is that I have a choice and there is competition. That's a market that actually works. Unlike builders, where it's 'Cowboys and Indians' all the time.
            i have shiny mags on mine

Comment

• One of my builders cycles to work.
              Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveW View Post
                One of my builders cycles to work.
                sounds like some sort of deviant

Comment

• Originally posted by jimO View Post
                  sounds like some sort of deviant
                  Not at all its a new trend to cycle if you live nearby. You know in the city with the difficulties finding a car-park.

Comment

A school principal in NZ earns an average of $100,000 and is in the top 10% of earners. Nor has a school princple used a briefcase since 1992 and the only principal to use public transport was Mr Brian Stimpson. who boarded the No.8 late in 2013 and was never seen again.

What you should do is develop an app that will connect parents with teachers, and the teachers can bid for educational services by the hour. Then parents can chose between spending the market rate for teachers (around $3/hr), or just use Youtube. The current unionised system that locks children into educational factories guarded by 'teachers' needs to be broken. You sound like just the man for that job.

The most important thing is to put everything into terms of an arbitrary hourly rate. At no point should there be any consideration as to what is actually being done. Human labour is fungible, no differences between any of the products of the educational factories, uniform and identical.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveW View Post
                      One of my builders cycles to work.
                      Have you considered renting him to Ogg for $50/hr?

Comment

• Originally posted by elguapo View Post
                        Have you considered renting him to Ogg for $50/hr?
                        He wouldn't work for $50 /hr.
                        But, and this is what I was getting st before, if you hire a good builder with assistants then the average hourly comes lower than $50 and you get the job done quicker.

Comment

• Originally posted by donna View Post
                          Our builders are charging $55 per hour + GST + 15% company margin. So that's $71.50 and we're in Kapiti. A sole operator with less overheads may be just the hourly rate + GST

cheers,

Donna
                          Hi Donna,

I am based in Wellington City and need a easy but beyond my skill set job done. You couldn't give me a way of contacting your builder could you?

Comment

• Generally the builders I've used are $80 per hour plus Gst. What I really find though is there's a huge tendency when they're working on hourly rates to fudge the time books especially if they are working away from the area where you as their employer are based. Try to keep as much an eye on the hours as possible and write down times of arrival and departure or you can get them to text you these. Also ask if they will charge you for their lunch breaks as many do. Expensive lunch on you, ouch, 😊

Comment

• Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                              Generally the builders I've used are $80 per hour plus Gst. What I really find though is there's a huge tendency when they're working on hourly rates to fudge the time books especially if they are working away from the area where you as their employer are based. Try to keep as much an eye on the hours as possible and write down times of arrival and departure or you can get them to text you these. Also ask if they will charge you for their lunch breaks as many do. Expensive lunch on you, ouch, 😊
                              If you are suspicious of the hours being charged out, then get a fixed price. $80 hour plus gst, does that include use of their own tools? Project management of the job and supervision or liaising with other subbies? Travel and admin? Are they licenced and do they have PL insurance? Is that all included in the $80 plus gst per hour?

Comment

• I guess if one was suspect of the hours charged at the initial stage it may be wise to get a fixed price for completing the rest of the job.
                                Yes LBP, own tools.

Comment

Working...
                                X