Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenancy Tribunal - Who Are the Most Applications From?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy Tribunal - Who Are the Most Applications From?

I have read that 80% of Tribunal applications are from Landlords. But having searched the Tribunal data there is nothing I could find to back that up.

Instead almost every link and the data itself refers to Tenants claims and wrongful Landlords.

Any help?

The breakdown does get reported in the media time to time. The actual number of cases is reported in the Justice Department annual reports.

Surprised at your finding. Suggest as a starting point put in a general search term eg rent and glance down the list returned. It is obvious which have been brought by Property Managers. Some of the others are obviously landlords as well, some can't tell without looking at the decisions.

Interesting to see that some 300 cases have been brought against landlords by the MBIE compliance team.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston001 View Post
      Instead almost every link and the data itself refers to Tenants claims and wrongful Landlords.

Any help?
      What you report sounds unbelievable.
      Are you searching correctly?
      The uptake from what you are saying is almost no tenant fails to pay their rent.
      Unbelievable.

Comment

I have the figures from 2012 to 2017 inclusive via the OIA

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
          I have the figures from 2012 to 2017 inclusive via the OIA
          That is interesting. Are the figures collated to show the total number of Landlord claims and the total number of Tenant claims? I guess that is made more difficult by claims from the MBIE compliance team.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post

Surprised at your finding. Suggest as a starting point put in a general search term eg rent and glance down the list returned. It is obvious which have been brought by Property Managers. Some of the others are obviously landlords as well, some can't tell without looking at the decisions.
            Good suggestion thanks. I did try that and got 14 pages of results - 20 cases per page. That is 280 decisions to download and read.

I tried another way looking for compensation payable to the Landlord - result 1 to 20 pages of 25490. That must be years of cases.

So how about compensation payable to the Tenant? result - 1 to 20 pages of 3879.

The simplistic conclusion is that 86% of decisions are made in favour of the Landlord and 14% for the Tenant.

This is very vague because we cannot determine how this huge number of cases is broken down.

Still, the gross number of decisions which support the Landlord v Tenant do bear out the 80 - 20% figure. The importance is that it doesn't matter who the applicant is, the large majority are in favour of the Landlord.

Comment

because the vast majority are about unpaid rent
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

Originally posted by Winston001 View Post
                That is interesting. Are the figures collated to show the total number of Landlord claims and the total number of Tenant claims? I guess that is made more difficult by claims from the MBIE compliance team.
                If anyone is interested, ping me an email and I will forward the results.

www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

here's a case

On April 29, the landlord gave Nguyen a notice to remedy issues related to
                  -"the payment of rent,
                  - disturbing the neighbours,
                  - possible use of the property for unlawful purposes,
                  - exceeding the maximum number of occupants allowed".

However, according to the tribunal, the problems, and complaints, continued.
                  The tribunal adjudicator found Nguyen had breached the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 and terminated the tenancy.

have you defeated them?
                  your demons

Comment

Working...
                  X