Would you buy this house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy this house?

Saw a house built in 2005, Code of Compliance issued in 2006 under the building act 2004.

But it's a plaster house with "20mm plaster over wire netting on 4.5mm Hardibacker with 25mm battened ventilation cavity".

Would appreciate any comments on such house.

Thanks for any advice.

Nope---- back during those years we built houses with those cladding specs, councils , designers fully approvaled the lower cost option in hindsight was criminally stupid ... I rememeber filling cracks only months after cladding was painted that water could enter the house
    no gaps to let the walls breath if moisture entered (through the cracks that would always appear)

Personal since those days I have only built or purchased homes with brick etc cladded ... yeah is more expensive but your get it on the other end when selling as well plus nil maintenance costs

Comment

yes
      if you like the appearance and the price.
      (JBM is confusing the bad old years 1996-2003)

It will have treated timber and all the cladding bells and whistles.(get someone to confirm this is likely. The point about the cavity is that water can drain. Yes a new house can crack but this is the initial settlement and when shrinkage expected. What you see now has been through that "when new" cycle.

Be mindful that monolithics still have stigma (your query is evidence of that and there are JBM's for Africa out there) but you could use this to get a discount?
      Last edited by John the builder; 05-07-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

we built the monolithics 2004 -2006 with the same specs in Queenstown .. did at least have double glazing ...also not as good noise reduction from outside noise .. did rent a 90's monolithic cladded house for a couple of years single glazed ..worse house I've ever lived in freezing cold (lce inside home)

also we live on the shaky isles how many earthquakes do we have per year?? hundreds

Yes monolithics have a stigma for good reason let alone looking horrible

rather own pretty much all other claddings board n batten , stone , weatherboard etc

But if it cheap and you think along the lines of J T B then by all means buy up certainly glad I had buyers for the ones we built,,

Comment

Sounds fine to me, I agree with JTB, not JBM, sorry JBM.

And as JTB said, just bear in mind that others will think what you are thinking when you come to sell.
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Well End of the day if its around the same asking price as a same age ,size non plaster clad home in the same suburb I know which one I'd be making an offer on ... think more details needed jack

Comment

thanks for the comments. how often do you have to repaint such a cladding?
              and if there crack (as I presume is very probable over time) how easy it is to fix?
              thanks

Comment

also i found another house with STOtherm cladding system.
                inner wall-insulation-building paper-cavity-STOtherm.

can anyone comment on STOtherm?
                thanks

Comment

google it

is it under warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                    google it

is it under warranty?
                    i did and there were no reviews but I got their product info here https://www.sto.co.nz/03_building/01...insulation.php

in terms of warranty ... got to find out ...

Comment

Hi Jack , ive owned a few of these and currently live in a poly plastered house and have had no problems except having to plaster any cracks when time to sell and repaint.
                      Hey if your buying to rent and hold , who cares , it will appreciate as fast as anything else as time has proven for my portfolio.
                      regards Gavin

Comment

thanks.

is repairing cracked plaster over vented cavity a simple task?
                        i've also heard of people plastering over weatherboards (old house, then someone just put plaster over it)!

not talking about plaster over brick/concrete, but plaster by itself or plaster over weatherboard.

thanks

Comment

No, stay away from plaster homes.

Stigma will always remain with plaster homes.
                          Gary Lin Property Coaching
                          www.Garylin.co
                          https://www.facebook.com/RealGaryLin/

Comment

Originally posted by GLin View Post
                            No, stay away from plaster homes.

Stigma will always remain with plaster homes.

Yes but the price is still the same

Comment

Working...
                            X