Blimey unreal: Tenant deducts $15 for power use while using small skill saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blimey unreal: Tenant deducts $15 for power use while using small skill saw

I really rolled my eyes this morning when i received an email from my tenant saying she was deducting $15 from her water bill as she thinks the intermittent use of a skill saw for a small deck repair over 2 hours jumped up her power bill. Here is the email, the names have been changed to protect the innocent :

Dear "Fool Landlord",

Thanking you for taking care of all the maintenance and repair work at 666 Dr Who Drive.

The frontage of the house looks much better now. Apologies for the late payment of last months watercare bill of $50.01, which i transferred today.

Also from the current watercare bill which is due on the 26th of this month, i have deducted $15.00 for the usage of electricity during the maintenance/repair work and have transferred you the rest. My electricity bill was higher than usual.

If you have any questions please email me or call me during the day.

Kindest regards

The Loving Tenant

Assuming 30c a unit over two hours...
    $15 / 0.3 = 50kw
    That a 25,000w skill saw.
    Impressive! That's a man's saw!

Comment

Lucky the loving tenant did not do you for theft!

Also, as with all punishments, the "fine" is to act as a deterrent. If it were $0.75 you wouldn't even be here talking about it. Maybe next time you will check with the tenant before using their power?

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

We did ask to use the "loving tenants" power, she was fine about it, nothing was discussed about power usage since it would have been a few piddly cents .

Actually the first time myself and the builder got there we ended up using the next door neighbours outlet as the "loving" tenant had gone out .

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
          We did ask to use the "loving tenants" power, she was fine about it, nothing was discussed about power usage since it would have been a few piddly cents .

Actually the first time myself and the builder got there we ended up using the next door neighbours outlet as the "loving" tenant had gone out .
          Then, it would be appropriate to ask for a break down of the time/units used.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Are they with one of those power co.s who change their rate each month or more? And then mistaken the winter price rise as excessive skill saw power consumption? A simple cost per unit comparison between the last two months bill will show it.

Comment

Photograph the power reading before and after you finish next time

Comment

That's why all my tools are battery powered LOL

Comment

Her higher power bill will have just been because it's colder.

Increase the rent by $10 a week.
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Well i did email her back saying that it simply wasn't the cause of her higher than usual bill and went into the reasons.

But i ended on "....its up to you"

Quite frankly its not worth arguing about. We repaired the deck very well and have looked after their best interests in other ways . The tenant complained earlier the house was a little cold, could i get some new curtains in. The existing curtains were fine but i put in roller blinds thermal to keep them warm.
                    Then she complained a few cockroaches were wandering around the kitchen floor, which was unusual as the previous tenant had never complained about this.
                    I got a pest guy in who told me there was some coming from her fridge so most probably shed brought them in.
                    I suggested to the tenant we go half with the bill of $143,

Her answer was , no way could her fridge have been harbouring the cockroaches.

Gosh really. What can you do?
                    Do your best to give good relations and service and this is what you get.

Comment

they love to live in warm electrical areas near the floor, food scraps and the sink for water

up and under the fridge an ideal spot

inside the electrical section of the dishwasher also popular
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Once I had a tenant sharing home&income dwelling with me. She complained they got ants. I said the only reason ants will get into the house is to get some food. She replied - do you call me dirty? I said - I don't say anything but it's not a rocket science to understand why you have them and I don't living right beneath you. She was quiet after that but I still got some ant jelly and spread in strategic places.

Comment

Working...
                        X