John Key and that flag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Key and that flag.

I'm sorry that John was bothered by being confused with Australia at his international meetings.
    I can see how this inconvenience would make him forget it's our flag, not his private seat tag.

I think of all the men and women who have fought bravely and given their lives under that strip of coloured cloth.
    My ancestors and friends.

It's a flag, not a logo.
    The price paid for it was in lives, not dollars.
    It's not for sale.

No, sorry John.
    Possibly get a bigger name badge? or shoes with lifts? or get to know the people at your meetings by being more personable.
    Last edited by McDuck; 22-06-2019, 06:59 AM.

Can we please change the national anthem?
    Something more upbeat & positive rather than the current funeral dirge...
    Much prefer the Aussie one.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
      Hi
      Sort of agree.
      Was lucky enough a few years back to crew on a motorcycle that went over to the Bonneville Salt Flats.
      Now I'm no great fan of the Americans but I will give them this..they know how to sing a national anthem.
      The Star spangled banner sung by some young lass in front of hundreds on the salt flats was quite stirring even
      for this old Kiwi.
      Richard
      Last edited by richard56; 22-06-2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

As with the flag, changing the national anthem will never happen in this current era.

Teach people how to sing the anthem correctly would be more to the point. Starting with the All Blacks, it is embarrassing to watch their pathetic attempts to sing our national anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by richard56 View Post
          Hi
          Sort of agree.
          Was lucky enough a few years back to crew on a motorcycle that went over to the Bonneville Salt Flats.
          Now I'm no great fan of the Americans but I will give them this..they know how to sing a national anthem.
          The Star spangled banner sung by some young lass in front of hundreds on the salt flats was quite stirring even
          for this old Kiwi.
          Richard
          not when Rosanne Barr sings it

Comment

Originally posted by richard56 View Post
            Hi
            Sort of agree.
            for this old Kiwi.
            Richard
            Same.
            We need a few rockets glaring red, on ours and flags still standing.
            The fact that Hendrix played it on a bent out electric guitar nailed it into pop culture forever.

Musical notes climbing up a scale would help too.
            Ours sounds like it's going over humps.
            Ever heard of ending on a high note?

But we have to know our place in things.
            Big ideas or not.

New Zealand is that bit at the end of the world, almost like Australia.(With Hobbits and less dust).
            Not a bad reputation.

Little can never be big.
            Dannii Minouge can never be Kylie,
            Bobby Kennedy can neve be John, and
            Michael Douglas can never be Kirk.
            Last edited by McDuck; 22-06-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Yeah I don't like our anthem. Personally I love 'God save the Queen' and everything else pales in comparison. However as a young vibrant nation with talented songwriters why not a more upbeat tune that we want to hear and sing aye.

cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

"I think of all the men and women who have fought bravely and given their lives under that strip of coloured cloth.
                My ancestors and friends."

Check your history. Very few ever fought under this flas but the myths and emotional traps continue so we still have a rubbish flag barely distinguishable from our that of our neighbours. That seems to suit some in the same way that living in look-alike houses does. Me, I live in a house completely different from my neighbours.

Key is right, he should just have done the flag (and the national dirge too).

Comment

Originally posted by MargVan View Post

so we still have a rubbish flag barely distinguishable from our that of our neighbours.
                  We don't have a rubbish flag at all, I personally like the NZ flag. There was a 68% voter turnout on the flag debate and 57% voted in favour of the current flag, so a lot of other people like our flag too. And so what if it's similar to Australia's flag, those that can't distinguish between the two flags, maybe need to take a closer look at them.

Comment

It's about how easily anyone (NZer or not) can identify our flag from others. If you don't think that's an issue then you are wrong. It's not a matter of taking a close look, it should be instantly indentifiable and not confused with any other.

Comment

Originally posted by MargVan View Post
                      It's not a matter of taking a close look, it should be instantly indentifiable and not confused with any other.
                      Then those who copied our flag should change theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                        Then those who copied our flag should change theirs.
                        Simplistic viewpoint.

Comment

Or the French one.
                          Or the USA one.
                          Or the Welsh one.
                          Almost any national anthem but our own.
                          It's a mediocre tune with dreadful lyrics.

Comment

John's attitude to democracy is a bit of a worry too.

Never mind what people want, ill just do what I think is good for them.

What's good for Milo Minderbinder enterprises is good for America.

It just shows a total failure to grasp the core concept behind our way of life.

And even a total failure to think through the eventual conclusion of those attitudes.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
                              John's attitude to democracy is a bit of a worry too.

Never mind what people want, ill just do what I think is good for them.

What's good for Milo Minderbinder enterprises is good for America.

It just shows a total failure to grasp the core concept behind our way of life.

And even a total failure to think through the eventual conclusion of those attitudes.
                              At least Sir John holds people accountable. I see he has just fired the CEO of ANZ.
                              Why can't this government hold anyone accountable for the 100,000 homes dream policy?
                              Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Working...
                              X