• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Question Application reason for storm water connection

Hi there, I hope someone can advise on a private storm water connection.

I have around 1800 sqm section in Auckland with an existing residence. The existing house is not connected to public storm water as it was built in the 70's and is on top of a hill. The nearest storm water public line is next to the neighbour who lives further down the hill (2 neighbours, cross lease).

I want to build a private storm water drain in my backyard and connect it to the public line. It may be possible to connect through the neighbor property’s yard underground.

In the application form for a storm water connection, there are three options in the reason for application: subdivision consent application, building consent application and other.

I don’t have any plans for subdivision or building construction at present, but am looking to leave it open for a future owner.

Q 1. If I get permission to lay and connect from my neighbors, will Council accept an application to connect the public storm water without any related applications?

Q 2. If Council does not accept applications for the stormwater connection alone, what are the possible “other” related applications for stormwater connections?

Any advice much appreciated.
    Cheers.

1. the council can accept an application for upgrading the existing house. I would be prudent to make sure it can saisfyy future development. A stormwater engineer consultant would advise on this.

you cannot presume you will be allwed to connect the drain you want as it may already be at capacity or even over capacity. Council are very jealous of their system. They may make you provide a retention tanks to stop over loading the catchement. These hold back intilial surge and reduce the peak flow that is experienced when a downpour occurs. and or allow tou to use the water on site for grey water and garden use

2. other is uporade to existing, They bneed to know the contecxt for application?

Default storm water connection

Thank you for your answer John.

On the assumption that Council would accept the drain I need,
    when I hire a storm water engineer consultant and make a conceptual design plan and neighboring consent form, but my neighbor doesn't agree to give right of entry, can Council file a court case on my behalf with my money? Or would it mean I cannot proceed with the connection?

Thank you.

there is provision in legislation for a forced agreement but this is last resort
    https://www.thomasconsultants.co.nz/...d-their-drain/

and here
    https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/...-approval.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by John the builder View Post
    1. the council can accept an application for upgrading the existing house. I would be prudent to make sure it can saisfyy future development. A stormwater engineer consultant would advise on this.

you cannot presume you will be allwed to connect the drain you want as it may already be at capacity or even over capacity. Council are very jealous of their system. They may make you provide a retention tanks to stop over loading the catchement. These hold back intilial surge and reduce the peak flow that is experienced when a downpour occurs. and or allow tou to use the water on site for grey water and garden use

2. other is uporade to existing, They bneed to know the contecxt for application?
    Council forced us to have large retention tanks
    Every few years they check them

Thread Information