Kitchen ventilation into roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen ventilation into roof?

We have an extractor fan in the kitchen that vents into the ceiling cavity, would this need to be vented outside to comply with the healthy home standards?

generally yes and nothing to do with idiotic labour crap law

Comment

strictly speaking No
      the standard only says;

The ventilation standard also requires all rooms with a bath, shower or cooktop to have an appropriatelysized extractor fan that ventilates externally.What if my rental property already has a fan in the bathroom or kitchen?Any new extractor fan installed after 1 July 2019 needs to comply with the size or performancerequirements and ventilate to the outside of the house.Any extractor fan installed before 1 July 2019 must ventilate to the outside of the house, but is notrequired to meet the size or performance requirements.What are the specific exemptions to the ventilation requirement?Rental properties will have to meet the ventilation standard by the relevant deadline unless they fallunder an exemption. Some exemptions cover just a single room, while others may cover the entireproperty. There are two exemptions, which are below:• If the property was lawful at the time it was built, even though it did not have an openablewindow or door in the relevant room. The room must also continue to meet any alternativeventilation requirements that applied when it was built. This exemption only applies to therequirement to have openable windows and doors.• It is not reasonably practicable to install an extractor fan or fans. This exemption only applies tothe extractor fan requirements.These are in addition to the general exemptions:• where the landlord intends to demolish or substantially rebuild the home within 12 months• for 12 months from the date the tenancy commences, if the tenant is the former owner of thehome• where a rental property is part of a building and the landlord does not own the entire building, alandlord can be partially exempt from complying with parts of the standards. However, alandlord will still have to take all reasonable steps to comply with the standards to the greatestextent reasonably practicable.
      the guidelines come out 1 July wait for then??

if you have a concrete tile roof venting into ceiling it would work (and get to exterior) but if space was constricted or airtight this could be causing problems. Ideally should be to atmosphere but this isnt stated clearly?

FAQ says;

If an extractor fan is installed in the kitchen, the fan and all ducting must be at least 150 mm in diameteror the fan with ducting must have an exhaust capacity of 50 ℓ/s. (this could be a problem?? can kit hoods have 120 ducts?)

landlords can self exempt if recorded?
      Last edited by John the builder; 20-06-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
        Any extractor fan installed before 1 July 2019 must ventilate to the outside of the house, but is notrequired to meet the size or performance requirements.

These are in addition to the general exemptions:• where the landlord intends to demolish or substantially rebuild the home within 12 months
        Hi John, could you let me know where you got this from? The two points above are relevant for us. We could be exempt as we intend to rebuild the house.

Comment

The healthy homes standards aim to close the quality gap between rental properties and owner-occupied homes, so the nearly 600,000 households that rent in New Zealand have warmer, dryer places to call home.

Comment

Thanks, I guess I need to read the regulations doc in detail rather than just the website. Will do that in the coming days.

Comment

what seems to be missing is guidelines to the tenant.

If they dont turn on fans, heaters and open windows then mould will manifest and then they have to clean that, but even then they don't??

it is interesting that BRANZ found in surveys (in background docs on that site) that houses with tenants had more mould. OK so what was there conclusion?? Upgrade the requirements! when clearly the issue is tenant ignorance. Typical nanny state knee jerk stuff???
              Last edited by John the builder; 20-06-2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                what seems to be missing is guidelines to the tenant.

If they dont turn on fans, heaters and open windows then mould will manifest and then they have to clean that, but even then they don't??

it is interesting that BRANZ found in surveys (in background docs on that site) that houses with tenants had more mould. OK so what was there conclusion?? Upgrade the requirements! when clearly the issue is tenant ignorance. Typical nanny state knee jerk stuff???
                Keeping in mind that apparently all landlords are evil and the government must do everything they can to make our lives as difficult as possible...

Comment

Yesh, can not wait till 1 July. We know the extractor fan requirement is a complete waste of time and money. Will there be a process in place for property assessment?

We have one where the kitchen, living is open plan with a cathedral ceiling. The cooker is right next to the window. Opening the window is best escape for steam etc, an extractor fan will be totally ineffective - so I wonder what the process will be to get it exempt.

cheers,

Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I wouldnt want a kitcen fan pumping into the ceiling space-- all the greasy stuff into the ceiling --ive seen it before--Batts so greasy--disgusting--and probably a fire risk with it

Comment

I'm thinking of putting an exhaust fan in the bathroom window of my apartment because there is no wall space on the exterior wall, but I'm not sure which tradie to call first: electrician? glazier? Or call someone who can organise the whole thing, like Smart Energy Solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by chocobo_ff View Post
                        Thanks, I guess I need to read the regulations doc in detail rather than just the website.
                        Take that on as a personal idiosyncrasy. Always read the legislation. Never read someone's interpretation of the legislation. Especially if it is from some official site.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                        X