Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much to rewire 125sqm house

Hi All,

Keen to get your thoughts on how much rewiring a house costs - it's basically a new build (actually a rebuild) and its a small house just 125 sqm.

How much do you think it should cost for the rewiring?

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

you wont get much change out of 8k i suspect

Comment

Ok, I think we're going to be charged around $12K - which now seems obscene.

cheers,

Donna

Comment

Did you get 3 quotes ?

I just spent that much yesterday on re-carpeting a shop 154sqm.
        Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Hi Donna, I would say 8k-10k depending on the number of lights, sockets and switches (and quality of fittings). Does the mains cable need to be upgraded or replaced, or are they using the existing cable from the street to the property? To get a better idea, you'd have to see the plans. A friend of mine built a new house in Lincoln with peter ray homes and the electrical work cost around $24K, but that was for a 4bed, 2bath, 2 living house.

Comment

yes new box the works - it's only 3 beds, 2 bathrooms 1 living area but also an extra bathroom and room in our garage so yeah I am now guessing it could even hight maybe $16K. The provider is part of the builder's team we're using - so we're locked in but they're good - even if they're at the top end on price. The info you've all shared is really helpful.

cheers,

Donna

Comment

good lord i can't believe what electricians are charging for this stuff. i did my neighbour's place for free a few months ago. couple hundred bucks worth of cable and plastic in a little job like that. i should go back on the tools and do two houses a year.

Comment

Originally posted by sparxNZ View Post
                good lord i can't believe what electricians are charging for this stuff. i did my neighbour's place for free a few months ago. couple hundred bucks worth of cable and plastic in a little job like that. i should go back on the tools and do two houses a year.
                Still registered then?
                Get back into it - there is money to be made in regulated trades.

Comment

An update - well it's getting a bit outrageous now. The electrician and builders margin has equated to just under $18K and the house is not complete and there's still room and ensuite in garage to do. I'll come back soon with another update as currently we have the meter and switch board in a bedroom - yeah madness! I have asked them to remedy it without charge. It means a set back on move in date as everything has to be rewired to the new location.

cheers,

Donna

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                    An update - well it's getting a bit outrageous now. The electrician and builders margin has equated to just under $18K and the house is not complete and there's still room and ensuite in garage to do. I'll come back soon with another update as currently we have the meter and switch board in a bedroom - yeah madness! I have asked them to remedy it without charge. It means a set back on move in date as everything has to be rewired to the new location.

cheers,

Donna
                    How could they get something so basic wrong as the wrong position for the switch board?

Comment

Yeah, the building consent said it's to be in the utility room but they decided the bedroom for both the meter and the switchboard. There was no valid reason for the switchboard to move from the utility room. I'll let you know how I get on - of course the Electrician doesn't want to move them as it's a big job, but clearly they can not stay there.

cheers,

Donna

Comment

Working...
                      X