• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pre-purchase asbestos testing

I've got a house under contract and as part of the due diligence i really want to do tests for asbestos, mainly the stipple on the ceiling.

Is it normal to ask to do an asbestos test given that the standard way is to remove some of the plaster?

Any other ways to test that would require the vendors consent to remove material?

if its got a decromastic tile roof it will have asbestos along with many of the early cement board type claddings

There's been lots of discussions around asbestos see here for a list

cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

the link isn't working for me Donna

you need a physical sample for testing . Is there not somewhere discrete that a small sample could be removed (perhaps a cupboard). Just get vendor approval ? If they refuse seek advice.

We just stopped a foundation repair job as asbestos was discovered in part of the ring foundation being removed. Double skinned, didn't see it when inspecting only came to light when taking the foundation out.

why was there asbestos in a foundation?

Quote Originally Posted by John the builder View Post
    you need a physical sample for testing . Is there not somewhere discrete that a small sample could be removed (perhaps a cupboard). Just get vendor approval ? If they refuse seek advice.
    Yeah, that's it. I need their approval. Haven't asked yet but will contact the agent tomorrow. Apparently you would normally agree this beforehand and include it as a separate clause in the s&p agreement. Hopefully they say yes.

THere has been some stipple taken down in 2012 and i have a copy of the original quote but there's no mention of any testing. THe agent has told me that the vendor told them there was no asbestos..

you mean the textured coating on the ceiling (that may have contained asbestos) is no longer there?

This type of material may only contain a small % of asbestos but care still needs to be taken - no sanding or removal without protective clothing & wear professional masks. It's the dust particles that can be lethal but symptoms take years to emerge - ideally you wouldn't touch it without protecting furniture, carpets etc so if the vendor agrees, they may insist on using a professional and they may refuse.

If you go ahead with the purchase, you can take your own samples by spraying with water then scraping small particles into a clean double-sealed food bag - (1tsp is sufficient). I've found a few quotes of $80 to analyse 1 sample whereas a professional company may charge $400+.

Incidentally, I owned an old victorian property in the UK which had 80s artex on several ceilings. There was a slight risk of asbestos and the lumpy texture made painting time-consuming. So I simply had some of the ceilings plastered over. Since the artex was not disturbed there was no significant risk to the plasterer and it was a lot easier to redecorate later.

Thread Information