Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shading analysis

Hi PTers,

We are designing a house using the alternate height to boundary and need to provide the council with a 'shading analysis' that shows that our neightbour's outdoor living space still gets at least 4 hours of sunlight between 9am-4pm. Does anyone know how to create a 'shading analysis'? Or which supplier can do it? We talked to a planner but they didn't know how to do one...

Thanks guys

hmmm... surveyor may be?

Comment

Ask an architectural designer or draftsman. They can map the sun position over the year and do an analysis using this with the building heights and location.

Comment

King13 is correct, an architect/draftsman will be able to do this for you. They will model the bulk of your building in a 3D software (such as sketchup, Revit, Archicad etc.) and use sun analysis to work out shading over different times.

If you are tech savy enough with software you can give it a go in sketchup - the basic version is free and will let you do this your self.

Comment

Hi guys, thank you very much for your responses. Here's an update if you're interested!

I have a family member who is a draftsman and he didn't know how to do these, neither did the planner, or ANYONE at the council..... so after your suggestion AlexL, I did some research and downloaded the free trial of SketchUp, watched some YouTube tutorial videos and did the analysis myself. Hopefully this is enough to satisfy the council's desires. I will report back (in a long while) after our submission has gone through. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Micholas View Post
            Hi guys, thank you very much for your responses. Here's an update if you're interested!

I have a family member who is a draftsman and he didn't know how to do these, neither did the planner, or ANYONE at the council..... so after your suggestion AlexL, I did some research and downloaded the free trial of SketchUp, watched some YouTube tutorial videos and did the analysis myself. Hopefully this is enough to satisfy the council's desires. I will report back (in a long while) after our submission has gone through. Thanks again guys.
            Is this what the kids mean by throwing shade?

Some good tricks with staggering the floors back from the lower to the upper.

Making the roof slope in the right way.

As long as you find a fair balance between your gain and your surrounding neighbour's loss.

Wouldn't hurt to ask all the stakeholders for input.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
              Is this what the kids mean by throwing shade?
              Love it.

Yes can't see the council picking up the term though...

Thanks for the tips, we would get creative like that if we needed to but the completed sun shading analysis shows that we hardly 'throw shade' over the top of the existing fence!

I'll report back after the council has had their way with it.

Comment

Working...
              X