Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I increase rent if tenant demands deck railing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's possible under RTA to pay monthly. Only weekly or fortnightly. Do check with the law

Comment

Originally posted by AlFa View Post
      I don't think it's possible under RTA to pay monthly. Only weekly or fortnightly. Do check with the law
      It's section 23. A LL may not require . . . is not the same as a tenant volunteering to . . .

Comment

Do the tenants (or their previous address) appear on the TT database. Sounds to me they will be poring over the list of unlawful acts in the RTA. Be prepared!

Comment

No.
          But then, would this not take months to go through the tribunal?

Comment

Well, his supposed payment date of yesterday has come and gone.
            Lease began 14 April
            Lease states weekly payments, 2 weeks in advance
            Payment made 18 April of one month
            What date can I apply to court?

Comment

For starters, it's a Tenancy Agreement, not a lease. You must issue a 14 day notice (to remedy) first, before applying to Tenants' Services for a hearing or mediation. (Also, it's a Tribunal and not a court.) It's best if you use the right words, especially if you end up at the Tenancy Tribunal [Kangaroo Kourt].

Comment

Issued 14 day notice 15 May
                By my count, tomorrow would be 21 days

Comment

Originally posted by crashy View Post
                  lease states weekly payments, 2 weeks in advance
                  doh ! (mamc)

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

Can't be that bad, tenant chose to pay a month in advance

Comment

Cross Tees Dot Eyes

It's not a matter of what's bad, or otherwise. You do need to reflect on the matter with a legalistic mindset and proper regard to the RTA. That's what the TT Kangaroo Kourt Klowns do!

If 2 weeks in advance was to be paid weekly, you would be in breach of s23 within 8 or 9 days of the tenancy starting, if the tenant complied with that TA provision.

Remember that (although denied) LLs are held to a higher stand of compliance with the RTA, than tenants are.

Comment

Scumbag tenants

Tenants demand to move in before rent had been paid. Declined 4x.
                        TA began 14 April.
                        Rent listed as weekly payments.
                        Tenant paid one month on 17 April.
                        Internet included in rent. Can I shut it off if no rent paid?
                        Tenant still has not transferred power into his name.
                        No rent has been received since 17 April.
                        Tenant requested several repairs. Advised of when they will be done, then he sends emails complaining that I am illegally accessing and invading his privacy after I have done the repairs.
                        14 day notice of rent arrears issued Wednesday 15 May.
                        Tenant declares he didn't move till the 18th and will not be paying for 14,15,16 or 17 April.

What are my options?
                        Now, what are my REAL options if a fine was my last concern?

Comment

if you can't deal with it, find someone who can, i.e. really sharp-toothed PM

Comment

Originally posted by crashy View Post
                            Now, what are my REAL options if a fine was my last concern?
                            This is a public forum which has been quoted in the news. Do you really expect forumites to give you unlawful suggestions? Follow AlFa's suggestion.

www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

Keys. You have made several incorrect assumptions.

I might choose WHICH law avenue I want to persue, such as a trespass order. If it were "unlawful", police would not enforce it.

I never said I can't handle it. I asked for suggestions on HOW to handle it.

Comment

Working...
                              X