• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cladding Stigma

Quote Originally Posted by Meehole View Post
    Spoke to a builder last night about cladding as son is building and thinking of using brick and linea. He said the proverbial is about to hit the fan regarding linea. Said not to use it, stay clear of it.
    Can you tell us more??

It was discussed over a glass of red and a beer and I didn't take too much notice other than he mentioned the sealant used for the joins breaks down after time. Fixing the nails on the face where they are exposed (not covered) is showing delamination in that area over time. Linea has always been touted as a 'weatherboard' cladding that can withstand dark paint colours. That may be so, or not, as my friends 6 year old north facing house clad in linea (alot of it) needs a repaint as has chalking. The dark colours are causing all sorts of problems with breaking down the areas around the nails and then moisture gets in and the rest is history.
    I've warned my son to steer clear of it and go for timber weatherboards in the areas not being clad in brick.

timber weatherboards have the same issues and other problems as well?

Chalking reflects on the paint not the weatherboard

I think your friend has a point about the sealant to butt joins but it isn't that the sealant breaks down but isn't able to resist the continual joint movement. But if its on a cavity and treated timber does this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by John the builder View Post
    timber weatherboards have the same issues and other problems as well?

Chalking reflects on the paint not the weatherboard

I think your friend has a point about the sealant to butt joins but it isn't that the sealant breaks down but isn't able to resist the continual joint movement. But if its on a cavity and treated timber does this matter.
    Timber doesn't delaminate like the linea is doing, that is the crux of the matter. Chalking in paint happens, our 11 year old cedar weatherboard house has it, dark colour. My friends house is 6 years old and built by Landmark Homes, franchise went bust. However it is clear that the UV rays are breaking down the paint and also breaking down the sealant. I don't know I am not a builder but it makes sense and I am just mentioning that it is potentially going to be an issue.If anyone is looking to build or buy an existing house clad in this James Hardie product be wary.

when it comes to cladding you need to be careful that in avoiding one risk you assume another.

Chalking is a paint issue.

The vulnerable joints with sealant are the but jpoints (so use a soaker or eliminate the jpoints.

Sealant doesnt break down from UV if painted to protect it but what linea are doing is using it as a glue on end joints which is problematic.

On the other hand timber splits, cups and moves, finger jointed (very common) timber glue may break down and show through paint, rot treatments are uncertain, the boards skrink in width causing paint issues after completion. Timber rots and is paint dependent.

Brick is most durable but heavy and brittle.

Kind of weird that the original old villa and bungalow houses clad in weatherboard without a cavity do not have the issues that the current materials being used for cladding on a cavity batten do.

We're rebuilding our house right now and have chosen cedar cladding. We've noticed some knots that have turned to 'holes' and we're getting those panels replaced, not filled in. Cedar does need a lot more care to stop the colouring etc. Stain every couple of years.

cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Quote Originally Posted by donna View Post
    We're rebuilding our house right now and have chosen cedar cladding. We've noticed some knots that have turned to 'holes' and we're getting those panels replaced, not filled in. Cedar does need a lot more care to stop the colouring etc. Stain every couple of years.

cheers,

Donna
    We built a house in Whangarei in 2008 that has 70% cedar weatherboard cladding. We have painted it a dark colour and after 11 years have a little bit of chalking of the paint but absolutely no warping or issues with it at all. Finger jointed pine on another house bled from the joins after a year but that too was painted a really dark colour. In my opinion better to pay for solid timber boards than finger jointed.

pay for solid timber boards than finger jointed.
    then you have the problem of unstable timber. FJ overcomes this to a point.

your comment regards the villa is also ignoring the likly use of superior and desirable native timber that was resilient and hard wearing.You are not comparing apples?

Quote Originally Posted by John the builder View Post
    then you have the problem of unstable timber. FJ overcomes this to a point.

your comment regards the villa is also ignoring the likly use of superior and desirable native timber that was resilient and hard wearing.You are not comparing apples?
    So the oily matai on our old 1940's bach whose paint blisters and flakes is an old desirable native timber? Finger jointed boards in my opinion is rubbish and I wouldn't use them or recommend them.

Thread Information