• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Filing IR4 2019

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brisbane Wellington Auckland
    Posts
    824

    Default Filing IR4 2019

    Having a problem filing the 2019 IR4 this year
    Have the DLN ...
    Will have to resort to a paper return
    Anyone else with problems?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Having a problem filing the 2019 IR4 this year
    Have the DLN ...
    Will have to resort to a paper return
    Anyone else with problems?
    Same here. I thought I would check again when they are up and running again 26 April.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,634

    Default

    Hold your horses guys! The IRD forms are rarely available on their website prior to about the 22nd, because they don't want people filing before they get the March PAYE on the 20th.

    This year I'd expect a further delay until their IT system shutdown finishes on 26 April. I went to check when I filed my earliest returns last year, but for some reason my system is showing 17 June, which seemed strange, until I remembered my son was born 15 March last year and significantly delayed my workflow
    AAT Accounting Services - Property Specialist Accounting - AATAccounting.co.nz
    Lower fees for investors, traders & real estate agents!
    [email protected] for more information.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brisbane Wellington Auckland
    Posts
    824

    Default

    I completed the IR4 and mailed it out last week.
    Time to do the IR6 and IR3 now

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brisbane Wellington Auckland
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyacat View Post
    Hold your horses guys! The IRD forms are rarely available on their website prior to about the 22nd, because they don't want people filing before they get the March PAYE on the 20th.

    This year I'd expect a further delay until their IT system shutdown finishes on 26 April. I went to check when I filed my earliest returns last year, but for some reason my system is showing 17 June, which seemed strange, until I remembered my son was born 15 March last year and significantly delayed my workflow
    If you leave the filing so late like after the 7th of May how do you accurately pay your third provisional tax payment ?
    When you take the "S" option and your taxable profit is well over the "uplift" & you do not make up the shortfall of tax by the 7th of May you could be up for interest on the provisional tax payments one and two.
    I cannot imagine there would be many property investors that would intentionally file after the 7th of May.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brisbane Wellington Auckland
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyacat View Post
    Hold your horses guys! The IRD forms are rarely available on their website prior to about the 22nd, because they don't want people filing before they get the March PAYE on the 20th.

    This year I'd expect a further delay until their IT system shutdown finishes on 26 April. I went to check when I filed my earliest returns last year, but for some reason my system is showing 17 June, which seemed strange, until I remembered my son was born 15 March last year and significantly delayed my workflow
    When I was working we filed our audited financial result to the wellington stock exchange on the first working day.
    Now that we are retired we just take it easy and file our tax returns in the first fortnight :-)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Same here.

    A GST De registration question - My next provisional tax needs to be paid by May 2019. I no longer need to be GST registered anymore, last income was back in Nov 18. What is the process to cancel my registration and adjust provisional tax ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brisbane Wellington Auckland
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    Same here.

    A GST De registration question - My next provisional tax needs to be paid by May 2019. I no longer need to be GST registered anymore, last income was back in Nov 18. What is the process to cancel my registration and adjust provisional tax ?
    You need to make a GST adjustment for assets retained.
    I assume for provisional tax you would estimate tax on the 31 3 2019 tax return.
    Are you ceasing trading ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    You need to make a GST adjustment for assets retained.
    For assets retained that I get depreciation , is it better to do ths adjustment after a complete year ie better depreciation value.
    I assume for provisional tax you would estimate tax on the 31 3 2019 tax return.
    Are you ceasing trading ?
    Self employed contractor.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    If you leave the filing so late like after the 7th of May how do you accurately pay your third provisional tax payment ?
    When you take the "S" option and your taxable profit is well over the "uplift" & you do not make up the shortfall of tax by the 7th of May you could be up for interest on the provisional tax payments one and two.
    I cannot imagine there would be many property investors that would intentionally file after the 7th of May.
    An interesting view. And one that would apply to all businesses, not just property investors. A few counterpoints.

    To start out with, I've never heard of May as being considered "so late" before. The average Chartered Accounting firm completes their work fairly evenly throughout the year, finishing maybe 10% in April, with the last 15-25% of their accounts in February and March of the following year. I personally hate last minute rush work, and aim to get almost all my returns completed by end of September. But the point is that lots and lots of investors (and other businesses) file after the 7th of May.

    Also, using the "S" option, you're actually up for interest on P1 and P2 payments regardless of whether you pay your P3 exactly correct, overpay, or underpay. IRD re-calculate your 'what should have been paid' as 1/3 of the total for the year; if P1 and P2 were underpaid relative to that, there's a UOMI calc. But by definition it's just a rough estimation and not intended to be exactly correct. At approx 8.2% the IRD's interest is certainly more expensive than a bank, but not exactly punitive - so long as you avoid their additional penalties by paying at least the minimum required. In most cases you'll know whether your year has gone immensely better than previously, and can pay a bit more.

    Lastly, you strictly don't actually need to have 'filed' your return to accurately pay your third provisional tax payment. You just need to have calculated your taxes, which by the sounds of it has already been done.

    While I agree that calculating your taxes by 7th of May would certainly be ideal, it's just not practical in many circumstances.
    AAT Accounting Services - Property Specialist Accounting - AATAccounting.co.nz
    Lower fees for investors, traders & real estate agents!
    [email protected] for more information.


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Property Predictions for 2019
    By Perry in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 25-08-2019, 12:58 AM
  2. Getting started in 2018 (or more realistically, 2019?)
    By Naithin in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-12-2018, 07:18 PM
  3. New Auckland council rates for 2018-2019 are online now
    By north shore in forum General (NZ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-07-2018, 07:37 PM
  4. Wellington City Council rates for 2018-2019 are online
    By heugumper in forum General (NZ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-07-2018, 03:21 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-02-2014, 08:43 PM
  6. Tax filing for non-resident
    By jc013 in forum Finance, legal and tax (NZ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-01-2013, 12:42 PM
  7. Companies Office Filing Fees
    By PC in forum General (NZ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 05:27 PM
  8. laqc - filing a Nil return
    By Rizowz in forum Finance, legal and tax (NZ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-06-2011, 01:47 AM
  9. Filing Bank Statements / Invoices - basic
    By Bluekiwi in forum Finance, legal and tax (NZ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •