ACC levies for companies that exist only to own property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACC levies for companies that exist only to own property

I was wondering if someone might be able to clarity this for me... I own a commercial rental that I bought around four years ago. It's owned not by me but a company that I'm the sole director of. The company does nothing other than own that building. The company has just just received an ACC levy bill for the first time. The company makes no profit as I take it out as director's drawings. I personally pay ACC for my self-employed work which is separate thing altogether. I'm wondering, in what scenario would the company be able to claim on this insurance policy that has been foisted upon it?

If it existed "only to own property" there would be no funds you could draw on.

Director's drawings possibly equals shareholder salary and I understand that levies are based on that figure. I'm not sure that the company could make an ACC claim, but the directors / shareholders should be eligible.

Comment

Perry's answer above is pretty much spot on.

1) directors drawings - there really isn't such a thing. Either
      - Director paye salary
      - or shareholder drawings/salary

2) If you are taking shareholder drawings, and a shareholder salary to allocate you the profit, then this is wages so ACC!

Ross
      Book a free chat here
      Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

It also sounds like you have a normal company. There is two big problems, and the link at the bottom of this blog gives some great information about the difficulty of getting capital gains out.

Ross
        Book a free chat here

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
          If it existed "only to own property" there would be no funds you could draw on.

Director's drawings possibly equals shareholder salary and I understand that levies are based on that figure. I'm not sure that the company could make an ACC claim, but the directors / shareholders should be eligible.
          Sure, it generates an income and I guess that's all that matters from ACC's perspective. It's just that the director/shareholders (me) are covered as individual persons by ACC and I already pay a handsome levy for it. The company is never going to fall off a ladder or be the victim of medical misadventure. It just seems a bit cheeky. I wonder if investors who receive dividends from the sharemarket pay levies on those?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
            It also sounds like you have a normal company. There is two big problems, and the link at the bottom of this blog gives some great information about the difficulty of getting capital gains out.

Ross
            So it looks like my accountant should have set me up with a LTC instead... I might have a chat to him about that. Thanks all for your knowledge. I was going to interrogate ACC about all of this but I'm guessing that I can't do much about this particular bill.

Comment

For ACC
              - Employers pay ACC bill every year. So your company is an employer of you, so has to pay ACC
              - Employees pay ACC through PAYE, as your shareholder salary doesn't have ACC component, you get billed seperately for this.

So you are paying the same ACC as everyone else.

Sharemarket investors don't get a salary for their personal work done - you might also question why or how you justify a salary to you, depending on how much work you do personally.

Ross
              Book a free chat here

Comment

Don't use a regular company!
                Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                  Don't use a regular company!
                  An LTC instead perhaps?

Comment

Sometimes ACC gets incomplete information and goes on fishing expeditions. I got an 'invoice' a few years ago as they had got wind of my LTC. An explanation that I was a PAYE earner and that the company was an ownership vehicle for a residential rental and they went away.

Your situation is a bit different, but I would at least clarify that you are/aren't an employee and make sure that the industry is correct because I wouldn't be surprised if this was also a case of casting the net out to see what they land. Just because they've sent it to you doesn't necessarily mean that you're liable for it.
                    My blog. From personal experience.
                    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                      Sometimes ACC gets incomplete information and goes on fishing expeditions. I got an 'invoice' a few years ago as they had got wind of my LTC. An explanation that I was a PAYE earner and that the company was an ownership vehicle for a residential rental and they went away.

Your situation is a bit different, but I would at least clarify that you are/aren't an employee and make sure that the industry is correct because I wouldn't be surprised if this was also a case of casting the net out to see what they land. Just because they've sent it to you doesn't necessarily mean that you're liable for it.
                      Interesting... yeah I will have a chat to them... and my accountant.

Comment

Working...
                      X