Under slab water leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under slab water leak

Anyone had experience in fixing an under slab water leak?
    The plumber with a good set of head phones is coming around to pin point it.
    Then the concrete cutting can begin to get at the copper pipe.
    What fun. Better call the insurance company I guess.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Originally posted by PC View Post
    Had this happen last year, with our water supply pipe. Luckily the water meter guy brought it to our attention. Old Dux Quest piping. We took another option, by disconnecting the pipe under the slab. Rerouting the water supply, entering the property via the basement. Involved a bit of hand dug trenching done by the younger plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
      Under slab or in slab?

Comment

In the slab. Under the lounge it seems.
        Would need to pull carpet up, remove some tiles and make a mess with a concrete cutter.
        And that would only fix part of the old copper pipe.
        Better option sounds like rerouting - only need to remove some gib and replace old hot water cylinder for that.
        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

You know that if moisture comes in contact with the mesh or rebar in the slab that it will cause spalling (concrete cancer).
          Maybe cutting it out once you have found the source of the leak might be a better option long term?
          I saw that had happened to a 2 million dollar home in Takapuna a couple of years ago that I was managing, it was in the kitchen and had a rib raft floor.
          No one wanted to touch the raft floor. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

Comment

No one wanted to touch the raft floor.

Meehole - just out of interest, can you elaborate a bit on why no one wanted to touch it?

Comment

Originally posted by BigWal_v2 View Post
              Meehole - just out of interest, can you elaborate a bit on why no one wanted to touch it?[/COLOR]
              It involved cutting into the concrete slab to access the pipes etc and being a poly slab it's a little different to cutting into a solid concrete slab and chasing the pipes, similar to a double brick wall.
              The owner had ok'd for cameras to go down the water pipes and drains and it showed that something was broken or had collapsed maybe while it was being constructed? You could see bits of polystyrene broken off.
              Nobody seemed to know how to try and fix an issue inside an insulated slab.
              As I said not sure what happened after that as the house got sold and I guess the new owner inherited the problem?

Comment

Working...
              X