Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 day notice - tenant or LL to do minor repairs? How to get cost recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 day notice - tenant or LL to do minor repairs? How to get cost recovery?

Smack me over the knuckles- just done my first propertyinspection and have found a few things lacking. Weeds need spraying on drive, oven needs cleaning, cat door is broken,light shade missing (which was brand new before they moved in) etc.

Does everyone always use that 14 day notice on tenancywebsite for inspection remedies? How doyou go about repairing the cat door and light shade? I worry if I leave it upto the tenant to repair then they will put in the wrong one (ie not matchinglightshade) or not properly repair the cat door - the glass needs replacing. If do it, how do I go about getting them topay for the repairs? Do I pay the tradespeople (for the cat door) and request a refund from the tenant? - is there a form for that too?

Research "osaki"

You have to prove intentionality or pay for everything.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Keys
      Thanks for your helpful direction agian. I did look into that Osaki forum notes when I first took on renting houses. However I have just read the Practice Note 2016/1 for the first time that you referred to in an old post. Before I googled myself it I called Tenancy Services to ask them what a Practice Note is as I assumed there would be a list of them somehwere that would be good reading for me - strangely enough she had no idea what I was talking about she had to google it herself.

The last point on the Practice Note states:
      12. Work orders can be made by the Tribunal where it is satified that the damage is intentional or where the landlord is not insured for the event.

So I am not insured... therefore before i go the route of a work order (have yet to find out what that is) I can ask for it to be repaired? The keyword of 'or' between 'intentional' and 'not insured' means i can claim? Is being careless whilst doing an action that clearly could cause damage intentional? moving very tall and large furniture around a room that smashes the lightshade. If you don't even bother to check when knowing there is a light shade in the middle of every room is therefore intentional.

Are 14 day notices issued for the weeds or is it better to try the nice way via a simple email to begin with and if that fails then do a 14 day notice?

Comment

For the weed spraying, I'd up the rent by an extra tad next increase and get someone in to spray time to time.

Comment

OK, not such a good start. How long since they have tenanted before your first inspect? That may have some bearing.
          Talk to tenant about your concerns and ask them their intentions to remedy and confirm in writing of your concerns with their right of reply.
          First prop inspections usually set the tone for ongoing communication I find.
          In one case we decided to take the damaged socket (stranger are things are known to happen I believe) in consideration and deduct the repair from the bond which was duly recorded.
          Lesson learned, and Forthwith we were sure to maintain a regular checkup on the property so both parties were aware.
          Great outcome for all.

Comment

Hi Erinak. Tenant has been there since end of last July, I had an appointment to do an inspection booked to do end of last year but I broke my leg which prevented me from doing it and and since laid me up for some months. Do do you both have to agree to deduct bond and apply to tenancy services to get the bond, but then surely the tenant would have to increase the bond back up to the required amount. Seems a roundabout way of getting paid involing a third party.

Comment

No Angela1.
              We both agreed to deduct the amount of the repair from the bond, both signed.
              We kept the invoice and receipt with the signed bond refund form.
              Of course there is the option for it to be repaid but he was happy with that.
              Very straightforward.

Comment

Working...
              X