• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

There seems to be a widespread belief that all a tenant has to do is say "Hey, there is no insulation", text or call MBIE and $4000 will be instantly extracted from their landlord and sent to them.

How many wol actually proceed when they discover that they have to assemble a claim, submit it to the TT, pay $20.44, wait for a hearing date and then actually appear to present their case?

All the while of course the penalty is " . . .up to $4000" so the reward may actually just be a hundred or two.

Well today I went and took the measurements of my one currently vacant South Auckland property.

The living room is 20.72 sq.m, but there is an adjoining dining/kitchen area of 12.33 sq.m, so under the rules I have to heat 33sq.m as there is an open void in the wall between.

I paid $2550 in 2017 for a 3.5kw heat pump now installed in the living room.

The calculator tells me that I need 6.2Kw !!

However, if I now install doors between the two areas, the living room room only would need 3.6Kw.

So it would probably make sense to install those doors, and then just top up the last 0.5Kw with a fixed heater. That would leave the diners and kitchen occupants to shiver.

This is going to get really complex!

I have used the calculator on a two storey home with no doors between the living area and the upper hall.
    I then used the formula in the act on the same house
    there is a 2kW difference
    i will try some less complex homes soon and see where the difference is occurring

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    From the sound of the article, they were issued with a 90 day notice stipulating compliance as the reason. Therefore retaliation against the law change could be argued.
    Retaliation against the law? Or a simple 'This property is no longer legally allowed to be rented out. Therefore, you must move out.'?
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by flyernzl View Post
    The living room is 20.72 sq.m, but there is an adjoining dining/kitchen area of 12.33 sq.m, so under the rules I have to heat 33sq.m as there is an open void in the wall between.

So hang on, even if you have a physical wall between the living room and the kitchen, if you take the door off the hinges, leaving an open doorway between them, this now counts as open plan? And (in my case) the 18 deg must reach into the farthest corners of the laundry and porch areas, which are off the kitchen with the door also taken off the hinges?
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sidinz View Post
    Or a simple 'This property is no longer legally allowed to be rented out. Therefore, you must move out.'?
    That brings up a very good point. 90 day notice issued 4 days before the law change, so assuming they stay the full 90 days, without the required work being completed, 86 days will be in an illegal dwelling. Could the tenant then also apply for the rent to be refunded for these 12 weeks, as well as the $4K?

Quote Originally Posted by sidinz View Post
    So hang on, even if you have a physical wall between the living room and the kitchen, if you take the door off the hinges, leaving an open doorway between them, this now counts as open plan? And (in my case) the 18 deg must reach into the farthest corners of the laundry and porch areas, which are off the kitchen with the door also taken off the hinges?
    thats right based on the calculator... even worse, if your living room has open access to the stairs to upstairs you have to include the upstairs space too...

from the playing around with the calculator if you have a 2 storey dwelling with no insulation between the levels there is no consideration for the high level of insulation in the ceiling above the upstairs - it doesn't even ask about it. so for a double storey place the calculator seems to assume the 'ceiling' is uninsulated.

Quote Originally Posted by flyernzl View Post
    Well today I went and took the measurements of my one currently vacant South Auckland property.

I paid $2550 in 2017 for a 3.5kw heat pump now installed in the living room.

The calculator tells me that I need 6.2Kw !!

However, if I now install doors between the two areas, the living room room only would need 3.6Kw.

So it would probably make sense to install those doors, and then just top up the last 0.5Kw with a fixed heater. That would leave the diners and kitchen occupants to shiver.

This is going to get really complex!

I wonder how long it would take to get your place up to 18 degrees on a really cold day with a 6.2Kw heat pump...

anyone know the cost of running a 6.2Kw heat pump/hr?

Quote Originally Posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
    anyone know the cost of running a 6.2Kw heat pump/hr?
    It would be about 2kw input for that size. For me in Wellington on Powershop my winter rate is 29c/unit so the maximum running cost of a 6.2kw output heatpump is 58cents an hour until it reaches temperature and starts cycling.

I was told the following when I queried some of the results to working out one of our rentals:

We recommend working through the guides before starting. There is quite a lot of information to collect in order to get an accurate result.

We are in the final stages of providing a PDF report that landlords can print off this will be available in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by north shore; 05-07-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Thread Information