Healthy Homes Guarantee Act standards announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Anita,

In the 'similar threads' below there are other discussions on the same topic. I read an article on NZH by Kate Hawkesby - telling tenants to dob in Landlords who haven't got their properties insulated in time. I found that comment irresponsible and ignorant. Why are these so called journos not investigating the installers who are clearly ripping off homeowners and when it's a Landlord the cost gets passed on to the tenant?

Here's some info on the R ratings for homes in NZ https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/maintena...ry-insulation/

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

• I would be rushing to do the insulation on all the properties ASAP. You could get a $4,000 fine for each property that isn't insulated after the required date.

You are a large landlord (20 properties), so would be viewed as a professional landlord, so I doubt you would get away with any excuses.

Ross
      Book a free chat here
      Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

• Anybody know an independent insulation assessor in Auckland by any chance?, all the one's I am finding appear to work for a insulation company.
        Our insulation on both houses were done by eco insulation who have changed hands.

Comment

• Yes call Rodney Insulation, run by dad and son and cover up to Mangawhai.

Comment

• Thank you for that

Comment

• Anita - Based on the challenges you've had simply insulating I'd consider finding a project manager to get your houses up to the HH requirements and start now. While none of the elements are difficult they're far more challenging that simply installing insulation underfloor and in ceiling space.

You have 18+ months so you need to complete one a month

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosco View Post
                I would be rushing to do the insulation on all the properties ASAP. You could get a $4,000 fine for each property that isn't insulated after the required date.

You are a large landlord (20 properties), so would be viewed as a professional landlord, so I doubt you would get away with any excuses.

Ross
                Someone posted on the FB page yesterday that they'd been to a talk by the MBIE head honcho who has stated that he won't be chasing up people who have booked in/made arrangements to get insulated but hadn't managed to meet the deadline. He's more interested in the ones just ignoring the legislation.
                My blog. From personal experience.
                http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Lovely hearing from you, D, Thanks for good advise, yes certainly got to be better prepared for the HHS campaign , soon .

Looks like, it's only us who got Insulation installations to be done in PT forum, but the companies we contracted said that they got over 300 to get done the other one too said at least 350 or more.

Well as an update , 2 properties are done since I posted here and our Tenants have been more empathetic as they have witnessed that we had to ask two cow boy companies to leave site & they asked us to go slow at our pace as they know that the work is in progress however you/we never know .

Comment

• Prediction for you Perry - exactly the same kind of panicked "need someone to do my legally required work, which I knew needed doing two years ago, by Monday" thread will appear a week out from the healthy homes deadline in a couple years.

Comment

• There is a 'no excuses policy' in force:

"From 1 July 2019, a landlord who has not installed ceiling and floor insulation where reasonably practicable will be in breach of the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) and may face the Tenancy Tribunal.
                      “The RTA does not allow for extensions, and this would be unfair to those landlords who have acted in time to do the right thing,” says Peter Hackshaw, Acting National Manager, Tenancy Compliance and Investigations (TCIT)."

Comment

• Hi , How does this sound , if it's reasonable - a meeting with Tenant/s waiting for Insulation get done and agreeing on an unobtrusive similar arrangement like this statement , anything to modify tips suggestions ?

Because one of our landlord friends, he got over 150 properties and 13 of them still needs get insulation done he said due to various reasons as well as where tenants not willing & or being able to arrange access and or caused delays for Insulation staff to turn up etc etc ( but I do understand that it still needs done, and landlord's responsibility, liability anyway) .Nevertheless , I'll await for your feed back

" Following has been discussed and mutually agreed with Tenants, ..............................................(nam e ) and ...............................................Lan dlords(name) , at .................................................. .............. (address ) ..............................(date)

Smoke alarms are tested and found working.

TENANCY SERVICES/LEGISLATIVE STUFF/SOME EXTRACTS from Media/websites:

"From 1 July 2019, a landlord who has not installed ceiling and floor insulation where reasonably practicable will be in breach of the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) and may face the Tenancy Tribunal.

“The RTA does not allow for extensions, and this would be unfair to those landlords who have acted in time to do the right thing,”

The Tenancy Compliance and Investigation Team will continue to focus on landlords who systematically breach the Residential Tenancies Act by failing to properly install mandatory smoke alarms, provide insulation statements, and – following the 1 July 2019 deadline – install insulation.

“Insulating a property can be complicated work, and landlords need to get in quick to ensure their rentals are done in time as some insulation installers may already be booked up. Having a plan in place will not be enough to protect a landlord from financial penalties.

BACKGROUND - Delay (LL - Generic & T - Personal ) :

Due to disparity of quotes , statements from Insulation Installers some quotes ranging $999 - $4800 for same house, on similar product plus some cowboy companies / tradies engaged and had to ask to leave jobs and costly insulation reinstatement s, plus partly due to delays with tenant communications, due to their personal reasons ie, not being able to contact, respond & tenants wanting to be home to arrange access for Insulation Installers but failing to do so timely manner, following has been discussed and agreed.

SOLUTIONS OFFERED & MUTUALLY AGREED:

A ) Went through near by similar properties available TO LET in the area, able to move in soon and landlord/Jason P agreed should the tenant agrees to terminate in the current circumstances, as detailed above, Landlord is happy to release the Tenancy and bond in full and assist with sign in process with new landlords and terminate current Tenancy, with last week rent free to Tenants, should they wish to do so within 48hrs, if so to communicate with Jason P asap in writing.

Or

B) As there 's no other issues or health and safety concerns with property and Insulation is in progress and booked in/made arrangements to get insulated but may be hadn't managed to meet the deadline , landlord has not been ignoring the legislation instead has been actively engaged, hence it is mutually agreed Tenants are still happy to proceed with Tenancy as is and will not escalate the issues or terminate the Tenancy .

ANY OTHER COMMENTS:

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

Tenants ( signature ) ..................Date............. Landlord (Signature...................Date ..........................

Comment

• It doesn't matter how it sounds. You can't contract out of the law. If a busybody wants to be stickler for the rules you haven't got a leg to stand on.

Comment

• Agreed. That's the situation.

Comment

• Anita, why not spend your time on actually installing the insulation yourself?
                              It's not that hard.

Comment

• Hi Bob

I certainly would have if I were handy. Let me know if you know of any one who can help.

Comment

Working...
                                X