• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

S
    Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    It would be about 2kw input for that size. For me in Wellington on Powershop my winter rate is 29c/unit so the maximum running cost of a 6.2kw output heatpump is 58cents an hour until it reaches temperature and starts cycling.

Seems very cheap to run ... why all the noise about tenants not turning on heat pumps when they're installed due to the cost of running?

Quote Originally Posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
    Seems very cheap to run ... why all the noise about tenants not turning on heat pumps when they're installed due to the cost of running?
    There's a couple ways of using them wrong. Former tenants of mine would put it on auto, wack it up to 30 then when it got too hot wack it down to 20. Too cold, wack it up again. So they were paying for heating, then cooling, then heating, then cooling and so on.

Current tenant never cleaned the filter (despite being shown a couple times). The dust layer was as thick as the carpet. No wonder it was hardly making any heat.

And then there's the fairy tale that leaving it on when no one is home is cheaper, which makes no sense when you think about it. If you wouldn't leave a standard electric heater on when you weren't at home, why would you leave a heatpump on? They both do the same thing, only the heatpump is doing it for 1/3rd the cost. Why pay for heat when no one is home to enjoy it?
    Last edited by Learning; 05-07-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    And then there's the fairy tale that leaving it on when no one is home is cheaper, which makes no sense when you think about it. If you wouldn't leave a standard electric heater on when you weren't at home, why would you leave a heatpump on? They both do the same thing, only the heatpump is doing it for 1/3rd the cost. Why pay for heat when no one is home to enjoy it?
    i think that comes from people who have emigrated from canada, the usa northern states, northern europe etc

where the -20C overnight temps mean everything double-glazed with 30cm insulation etc

in those conditions it's easier, (and safer for the pipes etc) to keep the heating going for 48hrs than let the house fully cool down on a weekend away
    Last edited by eri; 05-07-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post
    i think that comes from people who have emigrated from canada, the usa northern states, northern europe etc

where the -20C overnight temps mean everything double-glazed with 30cm insulation etc

in those conditions it's easier, (and safer for the pipes etc) to keep the heating going for 48hrs than let the house fully cool down on a weekend away
    Ahhh! Now it makes sense. Thanks.

Just had a play on that calculator:

"You need 2.9kW of heating capacity to heat your living room
    This is the minimum required heating capacity you need to meet the healthy homes standards, based on the information you supplied. It takes into account your local climate and the design and construction of your home. The tool makes some assumptions to keep things simple.

Your heaters need to provide this heating capacity with an outdoor temperature of -3C
    Heat pump installers need to know the outdoor temperature to work to. This is because the heating capacity of a heat pump reduces with colder outdoor temperatures. If you live somewhere cold, you may need a particular model of heat pump to give enough heating capacity"

Two things jump out:
    1) How can they claim that this result takes into account "the design and construction" of the house when it didn't ask what sort of cladding or window frames the house has? This makes a huge difference.
    2) Not even the faintest hint of trying to hide that they have a pro-heatpump agenda. No mention that other types of heating even exist.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

The joys of laws.

I wonder what the response will be?

I am a landlord and the Healthy Homes Regulations have now come into force, in part, to assist with cutting down on children illness.

Since yours is the only email address I have easily on hand I ask you to pass this OIA request onto whomever it is required to be passed on to.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p.../DLM65387.html

This, of course, adds ten working days to the time frame for the request to be replied to.

Schools throughout the country have custody of our children for a considerable time in their lives as children. It could be argued that, second to the home, schools are the major place where children spend their time.

This is an official information request to the ministry of education (or, whomever it is at the present moment).

The questions are as follows;

How many primary, intermediate and secondary schools (expressed as a percentage) fail to meet the Healthy Homes Regulations in all of their classrooms?

How many children (rounded to the nearest 1,000) are being taught in classrooms which fail to meet the Healthy Homes Regulations?

I realize that the Healthy Homes Regulations do not apply to schools but the reasoning behind these regulations is valid in schools.
    Just sent that off to my lads school principal.

You trouble maker, you.

All the gummint needs to do is appoint Dhil Twitford as deputy shadowy Education Munster and he'll sort the problems out, quick-smart.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Love it Keys! I'm looking forward to the response. Yes, if the desire was to genuinely help the underprivileged, they'd start with getting their own 'house' in order and the healthy homes applying to all schools etc.

cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Quote Originally Posted by flyernzl View Post

I paid $2550 in 2017 for a 3.5kw heat pump now installed in the living room.
    The calculator tells me that I need 6.2Kw !!
    However, if I now install doors between the two areas, the living room room only would need 3.6Kw.
    So it would probably make sense to install those doors, and then just top up the last 0.5Kw with a fixed heater. That would leave the diners and kitchen occupants to shiver.
    Me too.
    A door between the lounge and dining/kitchen area has been removed in the past.
    If I get a query about requiring more heat I'll just reinstall that door.

When we got heatpumps years ago, we over-specced them by one step. Haven't regretted it at all. It means they get the rooms to a good temperature without having to work horribly hard. And make sure you get a heatpump that performs well at 2 degrees. The lousy ones spend a lot of time defrosting themselves when it's cold outside, just when you want them most. If you've got to spend money, may as well spend it on something decent.

Thread Information