• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Yet another cost pushed onto the landlord. Heat pumps are only cost effective if they are run very frequently. If we assume that 5kW of heating is required 4 hours a day for four months of the year, even without using a discount rate (i.e. very conservatively), the heatpump has more than a 7 year payback relative to the cost of say an oil fin heater which you can buy for $1 on trade me (i bought several). So marginally cheaper for lounge areas, but crazy for bedrooms or studies. Especially given the best warranty available is 6 years....

Also of course the benefit is all to the tenant, and if the capital cost is added into the rent, say $3000 spread over 4 years (have to be conservative as there are maint costs also, and they don't all last 6 yrs) is an extra $15 per week in rent which makes the payback for the tenant much worse....

Yes they are convenient but i'd probably not install one in my own home.

And - depending what part of the country they're in - I've heard tales of cockroaches playing merry hell with the PCBs and other electronics in heatpumps, prompting expensive repairs. That's despite regular (not cheap) servicing, too.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Another issue is, where on the external wall can they be fitted? (this is not a question to the forum) These are blocks of units, some with only front and back wall, most of which is window. Not much space for a unit to be fixed. ... and of course there is the issue of penetrating the new exterior cladding and the warranty we currently have. Could become null and void if not done correctly.
    This will be the same for all units in the complex, this news is going to go down like a lead balloon after all the costs we have been through in the past 3 years or so.

I wonder if the government (taxpayer) is going to fund the loss of warranty caused by cutting through the new cladding? yeah right.

I have property in a thermal area of Rotorua. Installation costs for heatpumps here are through the roof, as the external unit has to be taken to pieces, the parts coated and it all put back together again. Apparently even after all that, it still has a shorter life span due to the corrosion.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Never mind.
    You are a filthy rich landlord, rolling in unearned and untaxed capital gains, so you can afford it.

There is an election next year. Chances are there will be a different government, on current polling either Labour/Greens or National/ACT. Housing issues will be top of mind and not necessarily in a good way.

National is asking for feedback on policies, currently economic and the associated survey includes some questions about rentals -

We want your thoughts on the following:
    • Is the tenancy tribunal efficiently and fairly addressing disputes between tenants and landlords?
    • Does existing legislation strike the right balance between protecting tenants and imposing costs on
    landlords and tenants?
    • What are the major regulatory costs for landlords and are they are unnecessarily driving up
    rents?

There is a building / construction discussion document still to come, though content unclear to me at least!

Strongly suggest that landlords do the economic survey, and complete the rental questions as a minimum, adding as much information and commentary as you like. It is on National's homepage.

For example, on the Healthy Rentals issue - worth pointing out the fallout from the National government's insulation regs, including confusion, a whole lot of applications for free money from the Tenancy Tribunal, and landlords who decide the game is not worth the candle. And those regs are significantly simpler than the current ones.

(Also noted in the discussion document that the bright line extension and ringfencing rental losses are to be repealed.)

Quote Originally Posted by flyernzl View Post
    Never mind.
    You are a filthy rich landlord, rolling in unearned and untaxed capital gains, so you can afford it.
    What about all my expensive toys, boats, fast cars and overseas holidays................................ I do not have. :-P

Have been given "concrete" info, now from more than one source, that two heaters can be installed to create the required wattage for the area.
    To me, and all the other owners in the complex, that is a relief. One less penetration in the exterior cladding.

We went through all the remediation because of leaks, be it the materials used or penetrations into monolithic clad surfaces. The last thing any of us want to do is penetrate the cladding creating a risk of water ingress.
    Could this all be the government assisting another leak crisis with all the penetrations needed to comply with their regulations.

I just may be another of those landlords that jump ship because the seas are getting too rough for safe passage.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    Have been given "concrete" info, now from more than one source, that two heaters can be installed to create the required wattage for the area.
    To me, and all the other owners in the complex, that is a relief. One less penetration in the exterior cladding.

We went through all the remediation because of leaks, be it the materials used or penetrations into monolithic clad surfaces. The last thing any of us want to do is penetrate the cladding creating a risk of water ingress.
    Could this all be the government assisting another leak crisis with all the penetrations needed to comply with their regulations.

I just may be another of those landlords that jump ship because the seas are getting too rough for safe passage.
    Hi
    Can your share this concrete info with us...and who gave you ths info?
    Thanks
    Richard

Thread Information