No announcement yet.

Healthy Homes Guarantee Act standards announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's all good, there are bureaucratic empires that can be built out of that scenario.
    Last edited by Perry; 09-09-2019, 05:36 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Spoook View Post
      After thought................. ok, say I do end up installing a heat pump, in this new well insulated, double glazed, north facing sunny home, I can see my tenant only using a portable heater.
      Why would anyone use a portable heater in a room where a heatpump is available? If they enjoy "burning money", why not just burn money?
      Last edited by Learning; 09-09-2019, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Now I have to face proving that an internal kitchen has to be exempt from the rangehood vented to external air requirement. Seriously, get a builder to write a report?
        "This exemption applies to kitchens or bathrooms where it is not reasonably practicable to install an extractor fan. This exemption has a number of criteria which must all be met. We recommend landlords get professional advice and keep a copy of that advice to qualify for this exemption."
        Anyone know where to get this list of criteria?
        My blog. From personal experience.
        http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Learning View Post
          Why would anyone use a portable heater in a room where a heatpump is available? If they enjoy "burning money", why not just burn money?
          Hate to put my hand up but we do this because I thought we were saving money and also because I liked the heat from the heater compaired to the Aircon Heat? But are heatpumps actually cheaper to run? I have never looked into this, just assumed because they are a large unit (Including the unit outside) I assumed it was more expensive to run

Comment

• TS has this to say...
            Exemptions to the ventilation standard

There are two specific exemptions for the ventilation standard. The information here is an overview. More information on these exemptions is available in Subpart 4 of the Healthy Homes Standards Regulations.
            1. A room doesn’t need to meet the requirements for openable windows and external doors if it was lawful when it was built or converted into a habitable space. If having fewer windows or doors was only lawful because the room met alternative ventilation requirements, then the room must still meet those requirements to qualify for this exemption.
            2. This exemption applies to kitchens or bathrooms where it is not reasonably practicable to install an extractor fan. This exemption has a number of criteria which must all be met. We recommend landlords get professional advice and keep a copy of that advice to qualify for this exemption.

These two exemptions are in addition to the general exemptions."

This takes you to subpart 4 of the ventilation standards.

In the complex I am part of we have 3 units that it would not be practicable to install a range hood in the kitchen. The kitchens are on internal walls in the middle of the unit. I am advised having a copy of the plans, which I do, will be information enough.
            Last edited by Spoook; 10-09-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

In the complex I am part of we have 3 units that it would not be practicable to install a range hood in the kitchen. The kitchens are on internal walls in the middle of the unit. I am advised having a copy of the plans, which I do, will be information enough.
              While it is probably too late now it seems like a bad design to have a kitchen without ventilation like that - the cooking smells could become a nuisance.
              How old are the units? You'd think anything built these days would have that designed in.

Seems like the regulations cover it well - document the reasoning why it isn't practical.

Comment

• Built in '99, these units are open lounge, dining and kitchen areas. It is not an enclosed kitchen in the middle of the unit.

Thinking further, for these units to go through the process of the heat assessment tool will be a nightmare. The whole living area is open to the upstairs floor. No simple way of even "curtaining" the stairway off either.

Comment

• But, but, Dhil Twitford said he wanted to make life easier for 'renters.'

(Not LLs, of course)

Comment

• Easier for renters, harder, or at least more expensive for landlords. I see big leaps in rent on the horizon. :-(

Comment

Built in '99, these units are open lounge, dining and kitchen areas. It is not an enclosed kitchen in the middle of the unit.

Thinking further, for these units to go through the process of the heat assessment tool will be a nightmare. The whole living area is open to the upstairs floor. No simple way of even "curtaining" the stairway off either.
                      In this case, the new rules result in a crazy situation.
                      You'll need an enormous heat pump in the lounge.
                      The heat won't travel into the dining or kitchen areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                        In this case, the new rules result in a crazy situation.
                        You'll need an enormous heat pump in the lounge.
                        The heat won't travel into the dining or kitchen areas.
                        And that's the conundrum isn't it - theoretically needed but practically doesn't do anything as the heat won't go that far.

Comment

• Wonder how many people will sell their rentals due to too much hassle over the next lot of requirements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            theoretically needed but practically doesn't do anything
                            (wipes drink off screen)

www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by north shore View Post
                              Wonder how many people will sell their rentals due to too much hassle over the next lot of requirements.
                              not many is my bet - still the best capital making game in town.

Comment

• Originally posted by north shore View Post
                                Wonder how many people will sell their rentals due to too much hassle over the next lot of requirements.
                                A few. A lot aren't buying the next one.
                                Most of us continue putting rents up.
                                Labour are O for awesome in that regard.
                                The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                                X