Healthy Homes Guarantee Act standards announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No.

But there is a Wellie PhD you can borrow.

Phil Dwitford, DrS*

*Doctor of Stupidity

Comment

• I've worked out my V, 522.24. How do I work out my H?

Comment

• I'm smiling at this.
        The required heating capacity calculation is amazing.
        Will any LL be able to calculate that there's enough heating?
        Will the TT be able to decide if the heating is sufficient?
        Would you need to bring a heating expert to a TT hearing? Would that be allowed?
        I suspect the magical calculator won't be able to handle every house/dwelling.
        I suspect no normal person will be able to input their main living room data correctly.

Comment

• What tenant can afford to run the required three 12kW heat pumps???
          Gonna have to boost that winter benefit.
          The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

• I've just enrolled in my first year of a mathematics degree funded by the COL so I can understand this simple calculation.

Originally posted by Learning View Post
            Required heating capacity

The required heating capacity for a living room is to be calculated using the following formula:
            h = [t + v + (f × 40) ] ÷ 1000,
            Where t = [ d + (e × g) ] × (b − c),
            d = (a more complicated formula I can't copy and paste),
            e is a slightly shorter complicated formula
            and
            v = w × y × z × (b − c)
            h
            is the required heating capacity for the living room (kW)
            t
            is the transmission heat loss of the living room (W) calculated under clause 3
            v
            is the ventilation heat loss of the living room (W) calculated under clause 4
            f
            is the area of the floor of the living room (m2).
            d
            is the transmission heat loss in respect of the living room’s building elements that are part of the tenancy building’s thermal envelope (W), calculated under subclause (2)
            e
            is the transmission heat loss in respect of the building elements that form the boundaries of the living room but are not part of the building’s thermal envelope (W), calculated under subclause (3)
            g
            is the temperature adjustment factor for building elements that are not part of the tenancy building’s thermal envelope, being 0.5
            b
            is the required internal temperature, being 18°C
            c
            is the assumed external temperature for the premises as set out in clause 5.
            w
            is the internal volume of the living room (m3)
            y
            is the assumed air change rate of the living room, being 1.0
            z
            is the assumed value for the density of air multiplied by the specific heat of air, being 0.34 Wh/m3K
            + a few more for the bits I couldn't copy and paste.

Anyone have a calculator and doctorate in mathematics I can borrow?

Comment

• Open fireplaces have to be blocked unless a tenant requests in writing that it is available to use. So if a rental is advertised as having a not blocked fireplace and that the TA will state tenant requests it is available for use, that should cover that? A condition of the tenancy, don't like it don't accept the tenancy.

Will the fireplace still be considered an 'unacceptable heater' and additional fixed heating still required? The Regs say yes.

Comment

• The more I look at these Regulations the more ridiculous they look. The requirements and associated costs might be OK for small apartments in city locations but open plan houses, old villas, farm houses, rural and provincial rentals are going to be up for significant costs. Meaning that tenants are really up for rent rises, even if they don't get kicked out because owners don't have the funds.

Since the standards are only just available, and the app is not, the sticker shock is still to come.

Landlords with one or two places will be facing a lot of new complexity and cost. Property managers will be forced to tell clients what they have to do to comply or leave the rental empty. That won't be fun.

My suggestion is for some on this forum to start asking questions of MPs and officials. Like what is the projected cost of remediation of specific types of property, the impact on rents and rental supply etc.

I will be asking Ms Collins (Opposition housing spokesperson) what info she has or can obtain, and if National plans to adjust the policy when it has an adverse effect on rents and rental supply. She is very good at asking detailed questions in the House, not that she always gets good answers.

Good idea?

Comment

• Another person is assessing the arcane and complex formulae involved. Not sure when the results of that assessment will be available, here, but they will be, eventually.

The charade that is questions in the house is less important than a cast iron undertaking from the gNats to repeal this nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
                    Another person is assessing the arcane and complex formulae involved. Not sure when the results of that assessment will be available, here, but they will be, eventually.

The charade that is questions in the house is less important than a cast iron undertaking from the gNats to repeal this nonsense.
                    Oral questions a charade certainly. Written questions and OIA requests not so much. Ms Collins likes to gather as much information as possible beforehand. Best not to go off half cocked when putting the 2020 manifesto together. I hope she has this and related issues on her watch list.

Comment

• I started perusing some of the associated publications today.

So far, two things have jumped out:

1) If you have one of those houses where, when everyone started putting in showers in the 80s, it was popped in the laundry as it was too difficult to put one over the bath, you are up for two bathroom extractor fans.

2) If you were one of the people who didn't choose any of the pre-determined answers in their survey, your response didn't get counted. For example, in the questions asking which level of upgrade, be it heating, insulation, temperature etc., you preferred, and you answered that there shouldn't be an upgrade, or suggested any other options, your 'vote' wasn't included in the tally. Therefore, when they say that the majority went for the highest upgrade, they are discounting the people who said there shouldn't be an upgrade. While they noted these responses in an analysis, they didn't form part of the numbers/statistics.
                      My blog. From personal experience.
                      http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                        2) Therefore, when they say that the majority went for the highest upgrade, they are discounting the people who said there shouldn't be an upgrade. While they noted these responses in an analysis, they didn't form part of the numbers/statistics.
                        Well spotted.

Lies, damned lies and political spin.

Dear Ms Collins . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by sidinz View Post
                          I started perusing some of the associated publications today.
                          Please can you tell us where / which publication you found this in?
                          Therefore, when they say that the majority went for the highest upgrade, they are discounting the people who said there shouldn't be an upgrade. While they noted these responses in an analysis, they didn't form part of the numbers/statistics.

Comment

• Healthy Homes Consultation Summary
                            My blog. From personal experience.
                            http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Please be patient with me - I achieved just 21% in School C maths.

Despite reading your reference twice, I still could not see what you were describing, here . . .
                              2) If you were one of the people who didn't choose any of the pre-determined answers in their survey, your response didn't get counted. For example, in the questions asking which level of upgrade, be it heating, insulation, temperature etc., you preferred, and you answered that there shouldn't be an upgrade, or suggested any other options, your 'vote' wasn't included in the tally. Therefore, when they say that the majority went for the highest upgrade, they are discounting the people who said there shouldn't be an upgrade. While they noted these responses in an analysis, they didn't form part of the numbers/statistics.
                              The only table is in (5).

So, sorry, I can't make the correlation you mention in your comment. I.e. that certain responses were not counted and so skewed the result[s] promulgated through the media and other channels, by the spin doctors of Dhil Twitford, et al.

Can you please dumb it down for me?

Comment

• Healthy Homes Standards - Insulation et al

Hello There

A mom and dad private landlord here, amongst 20 odd properties/rentals we jointly own in East West and Central & South Auckland almost 13 of them are insulated ( with SOI s) but still 7 are yet to get done .

They were delayed primarily , the quotes gotten by 2-3 companies were completely of vast disparity some were from $999 to $6500 for the same property of similar material and there has been instances an odd Insulation Inspector or assessor of another so called reputed company give certificate / SOI for the same property where the Insulation was initially recommended by without needing to do anything.

Insulation process quotes and works getting done started from over 2014 still slowly getting completed , during the period of course, some companies went out of business, some tradesmen been in out and been changing companies from one to the other , some have been tortuous and had to ask them to leave job specially some from so called big companies were the worse due to

A) they were found by Tenants that they consumed food of tenants and some

B) have thinly laid the insulation and supervisor of them too passed even after a complaint has been laid and it has been extremely unprofessional service and there were some sharks , cow boys worth name and shame

C) and later through an independent assessment found that it was still not done up to standard & got it fixed by someone else & got the certificate , so forth it has been an extremely difficult journey just these insulation ceiling underfloor sago and wonder if any similar stories out there and how are you managing in this situation if you still have any uninsulated rentals by 1/7/19 if any suggestions tips advise is appreciated.

Of course we had some life , we had some holidays and didn't cling on to this all the while , however it has not been pleasurable exercise and there has been pauses delays of the works specially due to not having skilled workers / regulatory body and lack of trustworthy installers / companies not being available to get the works done

Remainder of properties are lined up to get done by mid/late August after few weeks of the cut off date as those companies are busy working and just thought of raising this with you what are my rights / where to from here. Any wayforward from here what I should do to cover myself ?

To the best of my knowledge , R Ratings has been Ceiling 2.9 and Underfloor 1.5 is what it has been for most of the properties , and does this suffice?

Also read there seems lots yet to come as Healthy Home Initiative, as addons heat pumps and ventilation and extractor fans so forth - I truly have been out of touch of those as it continued keep changing.

On another aspect , re Heating, as there are power points in every room and every lounge etc , is providing a standard fan heater or similar from Warehouse with a Warranty card, suffice to tenants in this Winter till the new regulation hits in and completed by 2021?

As every article i read is different what it was read before and I went through dbh site /tenancy services site however there has been more helpful tips to tenants and others pretty generic hence just thought of asking here can anyone please detail/update on the 'needs' and 'dos' and how to manage better when some properties are still uninsulated by 31/6 .

Gracias!

Comment

Working...
                                X