• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The seesaw of supply vs demand uses price to balance out difference in quality. But if the balance is massively out then price makes little difference. If it's all supply and no demand then you might struggle to even give your product away, adversely if demand massively exceeds supply (such as Wellington rentals) then you can sell a third rate reject for top dollar.

There's probably some truth in that. But bringing in the hi-vis vest, clipboard-toting bureaucrats would likely make little-to-no difference in the scenario you describe.
    Try Radenbrea Studios for hand-made designer jewellery. Especially if you're looking for a great gift for your lady love.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

It would force the slumlord owners of the third rate rejects to tow the line or sell to someone who will.

If the situation is as desperate as you say, they will just 'go underground,' rather than there being any change.
    Try Radenbrea Studios for hand-made designer jewellery. Especially if you're looking for a great gift for your lady love.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    It would force the slumlord owners of the third rate rejects to tow the line or sell to someone who will.
    That was the plan for the Wellington City Council rental warrant of fitness. The initial intention being to give passed rentals a significant edge over the rest. And the next intention to pave the transition from voluntary to mandatory.

So far, getting on for 2 years in, there are 2 passed rentals. Nobody is saying how many failed.

Anyhoo, I'm sure the 2 that passed are tenanted. Like pretty much every other Wellington rental.

The government is to bring in new standards for rentals. And a CGT of some description is promised.

There's a shortage in Wellington, and elsewhere. Costs are rising. Some landlords are selling up and not buying new. Rents in Wellington beating Auckland's. Who would have thunk it.

Donthca worry none. Super duper Dhil has it covered.

Having just moved out of Welly, I can whole heartedly say that the rental market is ridiculously difficult & quite often people are offering the landlords more rent to secure it. I had 3 really awful landlords (2 private, 1 agency) & I believe they treat people like scum because they have too many choices.

A friend moved into a flat in Petone which seemed fine but after 2 weeks the ceilings were covered in black mould and the bathroom walls leaked water. It had obviously been cleaned up simply for the viewing. When my friend called the landlord, he sent a builder over who said he had been coming to the property for years as the landlord refused to fix the house properly.

I am now in my 4th rental (agent) & so far, things have been a positive experience. I pay $130 less per week for a similar sized property which is warm and nice to live in, plus my commute to work is 10 minutes rather than 30. The difference? I now live in Dunedin

Who would have thought rent prices are cheaper in smaller cities or towns.

Dunedin PM's tend to have a bad rep too, you must have met some real special ones in Wellington.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Thread Information