Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first investment property

Hello

I am looking for an investment property for long term capital gain 10 years or move.
    Budget $500.000 to $700.000

Do you recommend Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch ?

or smaller cities like rotorua, taupo, whakatane, etc.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Do you really want to gamble on capital gains?

If you have lots of cash or huge income, then maybe OK, but in general I would try for
    - long term passive income
    - through buying neutral or better, and adding value
    - capital gain is the cherry on the top

Ross
    Book a free chat here
    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Think very carefully before a first property investment at the moment and do your homework and sums covering several scenarios. There are recent changes, and more on the horizon, that could seriously impact your plan.

Suggest join your local Property Investors Association for a start.

Comment

Thank you, which region shall i look for ? I recently moved Australia from new zealand.

Comment

Doesn't matter as long as numbers work

Comment

Originally posted by AlFa View Post
            Doesn't matter as long as numbers work
            Not just that only but you need to make sure that the property meets your goals too. No point if the numbers work but located in a town where you can literally count the people by hand. Also other location aspects are key, ie not near a gang, good school zone, transport etc
            Last edited by Bluecoat; 18-01-2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecoat View Post
              Not just but you need to make sure that the property meets your goals too. No point if the numbers work but located in a town where you can literally count the people by hand. Also other location aspects are key, ie not near a gang, good school zone, transport etc
              All you said is true but he's just asked about region

Comment

Originally posted by AlFa View Post
                All you said is true but he's just asked about region

Then its a no brainer , Auckland outperforms all other regions if just relay on capital gains but be prepared for a flat few years .

Disclaimer: past performance is no guarantee of future

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecoat View Post
                  Then its a no brainer , Auckland outperforms all other regions if just relay on capital gains but be prepared for a flat few years .

Disclaimer: past performance is no guarantee of future
                  the latest chart I’ve seen comparing prices the house price index chart with a 2003 base year that QV produce shows Hamilton outperforming Auckland

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                    the latest chart I’ve seen comparing prices the house price index chart with a 2003 base year that QV produce shows Hamilton outperforming Auckland
                    I would gamble on Hamilton, Christchurch or restaurant. I recall in 2007 peak, Auckland property prices were 60% higher than Hamilton. Now they seem to be double the value. To keep the natural equilibrium either hamilton has to catch up or auckland has to drop. OR everything may drop.. who knows. As many guys here would say buy solid properties with decent returns. My decent return expectations are normally current bank interest rate +3%. I am finding these deals very hard to come by but there are people who still does this well.

Comment

Working...
                    X