• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Incodo View Post
    Hey being a newbie on this forum - observation - lot of discussion on rentals, markets, etc but not much on property physical issues and relatively little on legislative requirements, PCBU. BC, PM obligations or Court eg Blackdog claim, HCC v Alura, Crafer Crouch case, etc.
    Regards
    Paul at Incodo 0272800036
    I agree... I too am a fan of Building Science.

What's interesting is that despite all of the differing opinions on these myriad waterproofing systems I see that many are "BRANZ approved"... I wonder what that tells us.

Like many have said already, inside waterproofing is not bullet proof, water is still trapped inside the blocks, and will find a way to seep out in other places.

Best solution is a combination of both exterior excavation, exterior membrane, exterior toe plus surface drainage, and inside waterproofing.

HI Mike Merlot
    Ummm I think you'll find BRANZ don't "approve" products they issue "Appraisals" and they're not warranties
    Check the Conditions of Appraisal at the end of a recent one (eg No 447) . "BRANZ makes no representation or warranty as to - any guarantee or warranty offered by James Hardie. BRANZ provides no certification, guarantee, indemnity or warranty to James Hardie or any third party.
    Arguably a Codemark is better backing but the certification industry - well some feel it should be mre objective and robust. Personally I'd prefer a Consumer magazine type analysis with products compared and rated

Can anyone really trust BRANZ appprovals after some of the scenarios read about in the media?

Aren't they just some monopolistic body, more or less churning in dollars for appraisals?

I'm not sure if it helps but we repair alot of HNZ houses in Auckland that have suffered from concrete spalling to their foundations. Most we can repair but occasionally we have to take out the concrete ring foundation and replace with timber piles if the damage is too great. Personally if it was my house I would want to excavate and stop water from coming in, not sealing it from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Meehole View Post
    I'm not sure if it helps but we repair alot of HNZ houses in Auckland that have suffered from concrete spalling to their foundations. Most we can repair but occasionally we have to take out the concrete ring foundation and replace with timber piles if the damage is too great. Personally if it was my house I would want to excavate and stop water from coming in, not sealing it from the inside.
    Sounds like the sensible thing to do. BTW what sort of symptoms are present when the foundation is damaged... do you see cracking of the interior gib?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot Mike View Post
    Sounds like the sensible thing to do. BTW what sort of symptoms are present when the foundation is damaged... do you see cracking of the interior gib?
    No not usually unless there is subsidence or movement of the house due to the expansive soil as well. You can see step cracking in the brick veneer cladding but mostly you can see bubbling or bits of rust showing through the foundation.
    A lot of HNZ houses have had the spalling painted over to try and conceal it but that just makes it harder to repair and as it's not visual it gets left to deteriorate further.
    If you have a water issue with sodden ground it is possible that the house may slumped in that area. If so that can be fixed with an underpin.
    If you're in Akld and want to have someone look at it PM me. We might be able to help.

spalling would be a concrete cover issue surely and not leaking per se?

Thread Information