• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Unhappy Which option is best - buy the dream home now or wait a few years?

    Hi everyone,

    I've got a conundrum and I don't know what to do!!

    Currently I own my own home and have a mortgage of $120k - it's valued at $310k.

    My partner and I will have paid it off in 4 years time as we are currently paying it off at $400pw. However with a new baby on the way we are finding this amount to be a bit of a struggle on one income plus working for families.

    We have five children and the home we are in is only 3 bedroom. So it's a tad cramped.

    So I thought we should sell and buy a bigger house....BUT it's been three months and we've had no interest and now i've found out that i've been made redundant from my job effective from April.

    Therefore I thought we should remortgage our home and buy a bigger house up the road for $360k - we have 30k - kiwisaver as a deposit, as my partner and I weren't together when I brought my home he still has kiwi saver to access.

    I did the math and that works out to be about $220k on each house respectively. It would mean remortgaging my house and chucking an extra $100k on it and extending the mortgage for 30 years.
    We could rent out my home and rent would cover all payments i.e. mortgage and insurances.

    Our new bigger home would be a 30 year mortgage too and so our repayments would come down to approx $260pw instead of our current $400. But we won't be mortgage free in 4 years - it'll change to 30.

    NOW the other option i'm thinking of doing is this...

    Stay cramped where we are for four years.....and be mortgage free at the end of it and purchase a cheaper 3 bedroom property down the road as an investment property instead for $240k with a $30k deposit. In four years time when we are mortgage free - then consider remortgaging across both properties and buying a third larger bigger house - although prices may have esculated by then? Jut don't know. This means we will own three homes instead of two and will have a big more equity.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013


    This is really about whats best for you scenario. 5 kids + 2 adults in a three bed would be a struggle for most in terms of sanity. Financially though, cramping up and just toughing it out is admirable as well - should you do that - only you can answer. If not, buying a bigger house or extending your existing one are the options.

    Why no interest in your 310K home vs the 360K one up the road - is there plenty of interest in that one?

    What are your job prospects in the long term - can you earn sufficiently to repay for the next 30 years - only you can answer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004


    Suggest don't stress too much about the 30 year thing. You have already found out that mortgages get easier over time - values rise, rents rise, incomes rise, children grow up, principal gets paid down - though as a counterbalance interest rates are likely to start rising.

    I do think though that for the keep both option you could do the sums really carefully under different scenarios and over several years. Those scenarios to take account of announced or probable changes to the rental sector (ring-fencing losses, bright-line test, more and more and more compliance and associated costs), maintenance and tenant hassles. If this would be your first rental, take a look at some Tenancy Tribunal decisions ...

  4. #4


    Wait some time and then buy your dream house, you can invest your money in stocks for example and wait

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2016


    i waited 2 years, in that time, my dream house went from 500k to 1.2 mil

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008



    don't chase your dream home

    when it's time

    it will come to you

    and will stay
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2018


    1) get a new job asap
    2) keep selling your existing home. If you don't sell it, then you can't buy a new home can you?

    I think buying a new home is not a priority right now given your situation...

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by jack2016 View Post
    i waited 2 years, in that time, my dream house went from 500k to 1.2 mil
    where did the price of property more than double in 2 years?


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dream team: 120 properties in 12 years
    By BlueSky in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-09-2016, 10:04 PM
  2. Home owning dream withers - Sydney
    By muppet in forum Regions News (Oz)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-04-2011, 01:45 PM
  3. Death of home buyers' dream
    By muppet in forum General (NZ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 12:56 PM
  4. Thousands give up on home ownership dream
    By cube in forum Property Investment (Oz)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 05:03 PM
  5. The vanishing dream of home ownership
    By muppet in forum General (NZ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-10-2007, 07:50 AM
  6. Freestanding home the Aussie dream
    By muppet in forum Property Investment (Oz)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-07-2007, 10:32 AM
  7. Bidder bitter after dream home auction
    By muppet in forum Regions News (NZ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-04-2006, 09:13 PM
  8. Dream home reality: no chance
    By Marc in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-08-2005, 08:17 PM
  9. First-time home buyers warned to wait
    By muppet in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-06-2004, 12:58 PM
  10. Minor Dwellings
    By AustinWong in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 11:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts