My stressful story with the tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My stressful story with the tenant

We have had this tenant who was with winz, at the beginning winz was paying for her weekly and she was a nice person herself, so everything went well. 9 months later which was 6 months ago, winz was not paying for her anymore and we started to get problems of late payments

It's either because she was stood down from winz for a week, or her mother died, or her husband in hospital, or her paycheck day changed, or her grandma not well, or the bank girl didn't set up the payment right, or its public holiday bank doesn't work, or she simply forgot about paying. She couldn't pay in advance too. For the past 6 months, the payment waz late at least 8 times. She did make up the rent in a few days or in a week, but the hassles of checking the payment and chasing it up and worrying about troubles just drive me nutso.

I have sent her warning before about suggesting her move on to a smaller unit cheaper for her, but nothing changed. I sent her warning again a few days ago as it's late again. She was angry over the phone, she said I couldn't evict her because she paid every week and it's never behind, she sweared over the phone, yelled at me, she said she would send me quitting notice but then she texted me saying she was not leaving but provoked me to evict her.

I could not continue the tenancy with her after that episode. I felt I was abused so I did send her notice. I feel very stressed now what if she is not paying rent at all in these 90 days and then damage the house? What else I can do? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you for your time reading
    Last edited by Perry; 03-01-2019, 07:14 PM.

90 days notice sent so the only thing you can do is to pray to all and any god you believe in that she will be a decent person. Keep her winz client number handy for tribunal

Comment

Also, keep whatever records you can, such as emails and text messages.

If there is any voice phone call contact, record the conversation.

In this case, you do not need to ask permission or tell the person you are making the recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
        In this case, you do not need to ask permission or tell the person you are making the recording.
        Nor are you required to divulge that you are recording the conversation to anyone while you are in New Zealand.

I use this one.

Mmmm. Let me know if that link does not work.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post

I use this one.

Mmmm. Let me know if that link does not work.
          Second this, ACR is great. I record all my conversations for last 3 years. Although was lucky enough to never use this in court

Comment

The tenant missed the first week rent after eviction notice. I had called and texted and called with no response. She never pay rent in advance although it says 'in advance' in contract, so she is really late with the rent payment for the current week thats almost gone. I had to go over the tenancy house and knocked the door a few days later. I saw the lawn hadn't been mowed for a long time, weeds growing everywhere, rubbish just thrown on the yard, a big hole on the car port wall, the house curtain full of moulds, holes in the flyscreen door. I don't know how human can live in this kind of environment. Her partner answered the door said the tenant was at work. The tenant then finally got back to me the next door, said last week she wasn't working at all because of the eviction notice. She said she was stressed about her children going to be homeless so she was busy looking for accommodation instead. She has no money for this week's rent as no work and no pay from last week...

I just would like to say in this forum that having a tenant like this is emotionally stressful and has put me in an awkward situation.

Comment

In a sense, there is nothing new in what you describe.

Far too many LLs have had similar experiences and the TT Kangaroo Kourt supply of wet bus tickets is limitless.

What and how you respond in relation to the tenancy situation is critical.

Also, Tenancy Services is paid for out of interest on tenants' bonds, so TS and the TTKK are not likely to bite the hand that feeds it.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                Tenancy Services is paid for out of interest on tenants' bonds, so TS and the TTKK are not likely to bite the hand that feeds it.
                How do you know this? Why has nobody pursued this conflict of interest?

Comment

It's public knowledge. What conflict of interest?

Comment

"TS and the TTKK are not likely to bite the hand that feeds"

THAT

Comment

One illustration.

Another.

Comment

Dude I'm struggling to understand if you're just trolling or seriously have issues with understanding that tenancy affairs are only fair in a land of rainbows and unicorns? When I woke up this morning I surely wasn't living in that wonderful magic land.

Comment

Alfa, who are you speaking to?
                          If it is me, provide evidence that I have stated anything resembling "TA are fair"

Comment

Working...
                          X