Most affordable way to build a detached granny flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most affordable way to build a detached granny flat

Hello, I am trying to get my head around the cheapest way to put a granny flat on our property.

I'm wanting to build an extra room with a toilet and small kitchen (approx 20 meters square) at the back of our property for my parents to stay in when they visit for a few weeks once a year. We would maybe rent out on airbnb inbetween times.
    We have a 850m2 section with lots of space at the back but access down the side of the house is tight, <3m including Trees and a shed, car port posts and a carport roof.
    We were thinking about getting a prefab unit 2.5m x 8m and putting it on wheels to make it a 'caravan' but due to the access restrictions it seems like too much work. We would have to take down our front fence, cut down all the trees along the side of the house and take down the carport and shed and level the section a bit.
    Ideally I would like to build at the back but I can't get my head around all the approx costs of building or resource consents.
    I would appreciate any advice or if anyone has done something similar and they could share.
    Or if there is an easy way to caculate the approx costs before starting.
    Our budget around 30-50k.

you can just crane your prefab to back yard

Comment

Originally posted by krei027 View Post
      Hello, I am trying to get my head around the cheapest way to put a granny flat on our property.

I'm wanting to build an extra room with a toilet and small kitchen (approx 20 meters square) at the back of our property for my parents to stay in when they visit for a few weeks once a year. We would maybe rent out on airbnb inbetween times.
      We have a 850m2 section with lots of space at the back but access down the side of the house is tight, <3m including Trees and a shed, car port posts and a carport roof.
      We were thinking about getting a prefab unit 2.5m x 8m and putting it on wheels to make it a 'caravan' but due to the access restrictions it seems like too much work. We would have to take down our front fence, cut down all the trees along the side of the house and take down the carport and shed and level the section a bit.
      Ideally I would like to build at the back but I can't get my head around all the approx costs of building or resource consents.
      I would appreciate any advice or if anyone has done something similar and they could share.
      Or if there is an easy way to caculate the approx costs before starting.
      Our budget around 30-50k.
      Drop your caravan in by helicopter

Comment

I have seen this done by crane

Comment

Working...
        X