Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Cladding (Recladding) your own house

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever intended to re-clad their house by themselves?...

I have been searching online and there is almost nothing... just hundreds of companies that offer their services and council links to get consent.. It just seems ridiculously to me that you have to pay from $200K to $300K to get something like that done...

There are a bunch of people that have quite extensive experience in different areas that are cross-skills when it comes to things like this... myself I have built and knock down walls, really savvy in woodworking and engineer by profession... I surely can strip off the old cladding myself and put a new cladding on.. following the standard and procedures dictated by the council of course.

So what would be the best way to start, how to actually achieve this, the major problems to overcome and all other advice and feedback welcome

thank you very much

pretty sure its restricted building work, check with your local cartel i mean council

Comment

How would anyone know if you re-clad it yourself?
      I mean, if you had a weatherboard house and re-clad it with weatherboard, then 10 years later who would know it was done and when?

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        pretty sure its restricted building work, check with your local cartel i mean council
        You still can do restricted bw on your own house under owner-builder exemption. It must comply with building code though

Comment

Originally posted by AlFa View Post
          You still can do restricted bw on your own house under owner-builder exemption. It must comply with building code though
          probably need a consent maby even put a cavity in

Comment

strictly speaking you can reclad a house over 15 years old with out consent under schedule 1 (exemption 1). It is arguable under 15 years as there is a exception (to the exemption) for durability failure (so it depends why you are recladding?)

But it is controversial.

When you go to sell the house the re-cladding may be obvious (and you want it to be?) and then purchasers will worry whether it was done properly and whether all the "damage" was removed. (or leaks fixed?). This is the advantage with a consent plus the bonus of being able to sue council for defects. But the compliance costs are significant (design and consent fess plus inspection fees, plus hassle with CCC), and having to get inspections at each stage for each wall is a time consuming and delaying process.

If it can be done under schedule 1 then by definition it is not "restricted building work" because RBW doesnt include any work able to be done under schedule 1. (s401B of act as to what is RBW).

Owner builder exemption only applies to RBW and the requirement to otherwise have a LBP supervise. It is not an exemption for consent.

Comment

Good time of the year to do it. What type of cladding is it? And are you putting the same type back on?

Comment

Working...
              X