X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbnb vs normal rental

Airbnb versus Normal Rental

Which is better?

While there is no perfect answer, I came across this website through a property Facebook group, and thought I would do the full numbers on each. (Source: https://zodiak.co.nz/direct-comparison-of-my-apartment-before-and-after-airbnb/)

Normal rental

From website, rent was $485 but included power, so say $470. Apartment worth around $440,000.

So based on 52 weeks , the Gross Yield is $5.55%.

I have then tried to include all expenses and a fair allowance for things like repairs. I have used 4.5% interest on the full $440,000 value, and shown as interest only.

The overall Cash Surplus is -$6,640, so before tax benefits, negative $128 per week!

Airbnb

So how much better is the Airbnb?

From the website, their first year rent was $49,000!!! Over double the normal rent – WOW!

It is an 11.14% Gross Yield. So from a glance, I would be expecting this property to now be cashflow positive.

There is extra insurance, power, internet, cleaning and other costs. I have estimated these.

Then there are the normal expenses. I have added the higher rates mentioned on the website.

The overall Cash Surplus is -$1,836, so before tax benefits, negative $35 per week!

So this Airbnb example is better than the normal rental, but still negative with full borrowings and interest only. It is around $5,000 better.

I hope you found this interesting!
    Book a free chat here
    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
    Normal rental

From website, rent was $485 but included power, so say $470. Apartment worth around $440,000.
    $15 a week for electricity I would see as far from normal.

Comment

Hi Perry, that was there figure. Yes could be quite low, and I would never include power in a normal rental. Just asking for abuse!

Ross
      Book a free chat here
      Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Yes, you're right about the inherent danger of including electricity in the rent.

At best, $15 would be the daily charge only.

Comment

Working...
        X