• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Timber framing question

Hi, this is a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone can answer a question about timber framing on a house.

I'm having a garage built under my pole house and without going into a long story, the builder won't be finishing the work, I'm going to finish the timber framing myself. None of it is structural, the poles are still holding up the house.

I've just discovered that the edge of one side of the concrete slab is directly in line with the house, which is a problem, as I need to have the bottom plate protruding 6mm for the capillary overhang, as I'll be attaching the cladding directly to the frame.

So, I'm wondering what I should do here.

Maybe have a concrete cutter to come in and shave 6mm off the edge of the slab, which I'm guessing won't really be possible, as the cut would be too deep for the blade and one end is against a concrete block wall, which wouldn't allow the circular saw to cut all the way anyway.

Maybe I could move the framing in 6mm (top and bottom) creating a cavity and installing flashing along the bottom.

Maybe I could just build the framing normally and install flashing at the bottom anyway.

I don't want to build the wall at an angle.
    The wall is 2760mm long and 2420mm high. With it being 6mm further out at the bottom, I don't think it'll really be noticeable, but I'm thinking about a future CCC for the work.
    Last edited by ryanstev; 01-11-2018 at 12:07 AM.

So I've just read that I can have wall framing out by 5mm per 2.4m, so building it at an angle sounds like it might not be as silly an idea as I thought, maybe a 5mm overhang will be OK, since I'm sure they won't care about a 5mm vs 6mm overhang if they bothered measuring that small part of the overall framing.

Do your homework now if you want retrospective CCC esp. as it's part of your house. I suppose the worse case scenario is you pull it down but why not go down the right route with the consents etc now before you do it?

cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blogs - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Thanks for the reply.
    The work is fully consented, everything so far has been inspected and approved, which is why I'm being careful about the framing, I don't want to mess it up.

If you can't find a solid solution under NZS3604 you can "call a friend" - book Council inspection and ask them what do they want to see

Thanks, that's a good suggestion too.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanstev View Post
    Thanks, that's a good suggestion too.
    I too would call the Council Inspectors and ask for their opinion/advice to be clear for you to go on.

Thanks for the replies, I need to stop what I'm doing, before I go any further.

I asked my builder for the building plans on Monday and he hasn't dropped them around yet, but I was thinking how it's a shame that my draughtsman didn't send me any electronic copies.

I just had a look and it turns out that he actually did send me a draft set, back in 2014 and something I've been wondering about has been confirmed: there's a large part of the retaining wall, completely missing.
    https://imgur.com/a/z7169sN
    I have the red part, the blue part is completely missing.

And the red isn't 2000mm high either, maybe it's just a draft and things change, but the blue part can't be missing, it explains a concern of mine I've had for a while.
    Last edited by ryanstev; 03-11-2018 at 05:58 PM.

I spoke with the builder this morning and he said this was OK, they were going to build the rest of that at a later date and tie it in.

He's bringing the plans around on Monday, so I'll be able to check it over, if the other end, where I wanted to build the framing is OK (built to plan) then I'll continue, if it's not then I'll have to see if the bank will give me a loan and I'll pay the builder to finish that bit.

So, I had a bit of a panic attack last night, but it seems like that was a bit of an overreaction. The builder is reputable, I've seen the work he's done for other clients (eg an entire second story on their house)

So thanks for all of the replies, again, I'll leave it here for now.

Thread Information