Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone changed their supermarket shopping habits lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress? You May Remember . . .

This general conundrum was the topic of a family dinner conversation, Friday night last.

How is progress measured?

I.e. Back then, we had chiflotalem @ xxx price; but now we have superchiflotalem mark 7 at a greatly inflated price, but - despite that - we really are so much the better for it.

Back then, national and household debt was measured in the tens of millions;

But now national and household debt is measured in the tens of billions.

But that's O.K. because we're still so much better off for it - RIGHT!?!?

Any other PT forumite recall when:

* it was not possible to buy a new car without overseas funds;

* two NZ dollars bought $2.13 US dollars;

* three murders a year prompted widespread public outrage in/for NZ;

* newspapers told mostly the truth and not hyperbole.

On and on the list might go.

Comment

I notice a few opinions in the papers questioning the wisdom of supermarkets stopping single use plastic bags:

Others are also thinking it's a con and a scam.
      This opinion will spread.
      Countdown and New World along with the Dominion Post set up this scam playing the 'save the poor turtles' card.
      It has worked really well.
      It still remains a scam though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
        I notice a few opinions in the papers questioning the wisdom of supermarkets stopping single use plastic bags:

Others are also thinking it's a con and a scam.
        This opinion will spread.
        Countdown and New World along with the Dominion Post set up this scam playing the 'save the poor turtles' card.
        It has worked really well.
        It still remains a scam though.
        It seems to me that this is a little like the thing at school where the whole class was kept in because the perp wouldn't own up.
        Some people let their bags float around at the beach and that is not a good thing (turtles do get them, among other marine animals) but none of us are allowed them.
        We have 3 main uses for them
        - bin liner then out with the rubbish
        - hold the recycled news papers then out with the recycling
        - out with the soft plastic recycling that the supermarket has now given up on.

If we take one to the beach it comes back with us.
        We have NEVER let one loose EVER but are still punished.

Comment

They get into the beach by being blown or washed into waterways.
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

most streets on a slope

above the coast

like queen st.

wash straight to the sea

not a problem when it's rainwater runoff

big problem when it's a all, coffee cups and lids, fast food wrappers etc
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
              They get into the beach by being blown or washed into waterways.
              I know how they get there but we have never let one go so they can't blow into a waterway.
              We don't litter - ever!

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                most streets on a slope

above the coast

like queen st.

wash straight to the sea

not a problem when it's rainwater runoff

big problem when it's a all, coffee cups and lids, fast food wrappers etc
                Take some responsibility and look after your rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                  I
                  - hold the recycled news papers then out with the recycling
                  - out with the soft plastic recycling that the supermarket has now given up on.
                  In our office, we have recycle bins and normal rubbish bins etc and people put things separately. But one day, a colleague of mine saw the cleaner who came to empty those bins (he put both into the same big plastic bag and took it away .... perhaps to end up in landfill after all the effort to put things in recycle bins.)

Comment

Originally posted by ATM View Post
                    In our office, we have recycle bins and normal rubbish bins etc and people put things separately. But one day, a colleague of mine saw the cleaner who came to empty those bins (he put both into the same big plastic bag and took it away .... perhaps to end up in landfill after all the effort to put things in recycle bins.)
                    Quite common.
                    But the trust was about the bags getting into the marine environment and this wouldn't cause that either.

Comment

Originally posted by ATM View Post
                      I think this is quite normal.
                      Recycling never works - it's uneconomic.
                      All the 'recycled' plastic and packaging used to get sent to China and dumped in wastelands.
                      Later it got sent to Vietnam and dumped in a swamp.
                      Now it just sits in storage in NZ - eventually it will be sent to a landfill.
                      A total waste of effort for all those sweet people who carefully place their waste in the correct coloured recycle bins.
                      You don't hear much about this in the media.

Comment

Anyone else noticed shoppers walking out of New World clutching 4 or 5 items in their arms and a pissed-off look on their faces?

Comment

Anyone else noticed shoppers walking out of New World clutching 4 or 5 items in their arms and a pissed-off look on their faces?
                          I usually shop at a Countdown Metro. Many customers are office workers or tourists. They often don't have bags so seem to buy a plastic bag or just buy a couple of things for lunch. Possibly instead of 3 or 4. No room in suit pockets for reusable bags.

Comment

Recycling never works - it's uneconomic.
                            So what's your solution?

Comment

Just dump it at the landfill.
                              That way it's disposed in an (hopefully) environmentally-friendly manner.
                              Instead of being shipped to asia and dumped on a river bank.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                                I usually shop at a Countdown Metro. Many customers are office workers or tourists. They often don't have bags so seem to buy a plastic bag or just buy a couple of things for lunch. Possibly instead of 3 or 4. No room in suit pockets for reusable bags.
                                Yep.
                                I haven't seen one happy shopper skipping around the supermarket exclaiming how good it is to shop now that the thin plastic shopping bags have gone.
                                Not one person has said that they now look forward to doing the weekly shop and spending $300 and having to drag around their cloth bags.

I have bought some bin liners and they cost 15c each which surprised me.
                                The same price as the thick plastic checkout bags.
                                What should I do?
                                Buy bin liners or use the thick plastic checkout bags?

Comment

Working...
                                X