Prefab cabin in Wellington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prefab cabin in Wellington

After figuring an extension to our small home will cost upwards of $150000, we are instead looking at putting a prefab cabin in our backyard which will be a music room/media room/somewhere for the kids to go hang out. There will be no bathroom, water etc. But it will have power.
    We have a small house (93sqm) and a small section and our house accupies the maximum 35% site coverage. Because the cabin will be close to the boundary we will need to get consent. I understand for this we need to engage a surveyor and then a planner to submit plans to the council. As we are already having to do all this we thought we may as well go for a cabin larger than 10sqm more like 16sqm. I am guessing the surveying/planning/council fees will cost around $5000+. So what I’m wondering is are the council likely to just say no after forking our that cash, or is it just a formality? Is the site coverage rule one you can get around?
    Anyone else have experience doing this sort of thing?

Hi TTK,

So your house is 93sqm and you say a small extension would be upwards of $150K - it must be super high spec to cost that much - what was the size of it?

Think ave cost per sqm is under $3K. Maybe you need another quote. Any addition to your home would be the better option don't you think?

There's no such thing as a 'formality' with councils - we found out the hard way. What seems commonsense and straightforward to you is likely to be the opposite.

In saying that your home is just 93 sqm and if adding 30 sqm provides another double bedroom with ensuite for example then that wouldn't be out of the question and could be seen favourably.

It I was in your situation I'd do more research on the addition before considering cabins and the like.

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

if it is a prefab the current decisions say it doesnt need a building consent(even if over 10m2) if no work done on site. PM me for the decisions that support this. You are breaking a planning rule(s) but if your neighbors are cool with it then why not place it and see what happens? in the event that council complains then get a retrospective resource consent then.

coverage usually needs a RC Is you site less than 275m2?

Is the site flat? You only need consent for work you do but place on blocks is OK and dont connect to drainage

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
        Hi TTK,

So your house is 93sqm and you say a small extension would be upwards of $150K - it must be super high spec to cost that much - what was the size of it?

cheers,

Donna
        We have actually had 3 estimates already and they were all between 120 and 150K. It would only add 15sqm to our house which was a small second living area. The section is only 334sqm FYI. Wellington seems to be really expensive for renovations I gusss. To get it fully quoted we need to engage an architect which will
        be $10,000 before anything else happens. And we are on a budget as we already have a decent mortgage. If we built up, added another story we are told it woild
        be closer to $300,000.

Comment

I don't like your chances of an exception for site coverage in Wellington. WCC is dragging their heels on absolutely everything these days. I would speak with council before proceeding any further. You don't need to disclose the address.
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
            if it is a prefab the current decisions say it doesnt need a building consent(even if over 10m2) if no work done on site. PM me for the decisions that support this. You are breaking a planning rule(s) but if your neighbors are cool with it then why not place it and see what happens? in the event that council complains then get a retrospective resource consent then.

coverage usually needs a RC Is you site less than 275m2?

Is the site flat? You only need consent for work you do but place on blocks is OK and dont connect to drainage
            Would the same apply if you used screw piles? They screw in the ground about 900 and can be unscrewed to be removed? No concrete involved.

Comment

I agree a good idea but it is still "building work" (and all building has to be under a consent unless schedule 1 applies?)

I think the answer is that these low simple structures don't need tying to a foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post

I think the answer is that these low simple structures don't need tying to a foundation.
                Really? Even it Earthquake prone Wellington.

I can't believe the estimates are up to $150K for 15 sqm that's a whopping $10K per sqm. Even as recently as July $2.5K per sqm has been mentioned as the starting point.

Maybe you'd be better off with another property. Bigger section, larger house etc.

cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Really? Even it Earthquake prone Wellington.
                  Buildings like this dont collapse! (single storey and compact shapes). They may bounce around like a caravan or vehicle but after a shake can be pushed back onto blocks and away you go

regards area cost you shouldnt apply floor areas rates when under a certain reasonable area, economy of scale (or lack of) works in reverse as well?

Comment

Working...
                  X