• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Professional carpet cleaning in the TA - refer here.

https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/disputes...tenancies-act/

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Professional carpet cleaning in the TA - refer here.

https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/disputes...tenancies-act/
    Thanks so much Artemis.

I'm so glad someone actually got what I meant. I guess I should have put it much more simpler for others.

Do you think the cleaning is more than reasonably clean? If so then you may be on safe ground....
    Fraser Wilkinson
    www.managemyrental.co.nz
    Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    Do you think the cleaning is more than reasonably clean? If so then you may be on safe ground....
    Thanks FJW. I showed them the before and after pics and tenant agreed to have it cleaned. All good now.

For the average tenancy without spills / stains on carpet, it is still reasonable to request a carpet wash at end of tenancy.

The carpet comes in contact with feet daily, which contain oils, sweat etc.
    After just 1 day your socks can smell for a reason and carpet is no different.
    Further there is dirt and grime that get within a carpet that a household vacuum will never remove.

We believe on average, tenancies 6 months or more and a carpet wash is due.
    Any adjudicator who argues against this needs to be calmly and carefully explained the sock analogy etc to understand basics of human hygiene.

Thanks. The tenant did agree it needed a clean. All good now.

Quote Originally Posted by erinak View Post
    Thanks. The tenant did agree it needed a clean. All good now.
    Even if tenant did not agree with you that the carpet needed cleaning, there is an easy solution. You get a professional cleaning service done and on the receipt get the contractor to write that the carpet did indeed need to be cleaned as was evidenced by the dirty coloured water after the clean was finished.
    This should be more than enough evidence to secure the costs against the tenant,
    I hate it when tenants try to get out of cleaning the carpets at the end of their tenancy when its stated clearly in their TA. The incoming tenant always gets a cleaned carpet and most appreciate this fact and therefore should expect to be doing the carpet cleaning at the end of their tenancy. I always insist on using a professional carpet cleaner however the law is on their side in relation to this but if they have done the job themselves and it doesn't look good then that is the time to bring in a contractor and they will need to reimburse for this , so my advice to the tenant is always use a professional carpet cleaner from the get-go.

^^^ WOW!

Do you also charge 6 weeks rent for bond?

You may hate it but that is not your problem. I hate it when I sit at red lights and there is no traffic to dodge. Do I drive through a red light?

Quote Originally Posted by Keys View Post
    ^^^ WOW!

Do you also charge 6 weeks rent for bond?

You may hate it but that is not your problem. I hate it when I sit at red lights and there is no traffic to dodge. Do I drive through a red light?
    Unfortunately it becomes my problem and then the errant tenants problem as they then get a bill for the uncleaned carpet. I'm not driving through any red light , I'm actually avoiding them by keeping them green for both tenant and landlord. Mutual interests are being served

Quote Originally Posted by mrsaneperson View Post
    Unfortunately it becomes my problem and then the errant tenants problem as they then get a bill for the uncleaned carpet. I'm not driving through any red light , I'm actually avoiding them by keeping them green for both tenant and landlord. Mutual interests are being served
    Works until the TT gets involved then they may decide that the carpet is reasonably clean (doesn't have to be perfectly clean).
    Dirty water from the carpet clean may just be taking it from 'reasonably clean' to 'perfectly clean' (which they would argue is at your cost).

Thread Information