Carpet clean at end of tenancy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donna View Post
    We've just taken back a rental for our own use for 6 months. The tenant had driven into the shed and pushed the aluminium cladding in - it was replaced 6 years ago and now it looks terrible. We weren't told about it. PM didn't know - only noticed it during the final inspection. But PM says tenant not liable, so what can you do aye.
    I would have thought that was an insurance issue?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
      Raise the bar for the industry, this produces a win win for all parties involved.
      Personally I have never had a tenant falsely claim things off me.
      Have also only been to the TT once in 14 years (and 10 properties).
      I have great tenants so maybe my bar is high enough?

Comment

Reading that at first i was kind of impressed but reading the columns over the years I've come to know you as an easy going kind of person , sometimes too accommodating and I doubt there would be any other landlord i know that would say they have never cleaned their rental property carpets in over a decade , that is like way too carefree and laid back....Keys on the other hand is probably relishing to prepare another TT hearing for tomorrow as I type this , those courtrooms are like a second home to him ..We're all different, I'm kind of in the middle , just trying to be fair and reasonable and as a very last resort will file for a hearing.

Comment

Reading that at first i was kind of impressed but reading the columns over the years I've come to know you as an easy going kind of person , sometimes too accommodating and I doubt there would be any other landlord i know that would say they have never cleaned their rental property carpets in over a decade , that is like way too carefree and laid back....Keys on the other hand is probably relishing to prepare another TT hearing for tomorrow as I type this , those courtrooms are like a second home to him ..We're all different, I'm kind of in the middle , just trying to be fair and reasonable and as a very last resort will file for a hearing.
          I don't have issue because I treat my customers well - they are happy and leave happy.
          Carpet - get over it, enough already!
          TT - I'd expect my PM to go there but, as I say, it has only come up once.
          I pick my fights but not everything is worth fighting about.
          The key is to have good properties and good tenants then treat them well - worked for me.

Comment

Well you're not managing them yourself are you due to your too easy going accommodating manner .
            People lie down on carpets , and babies and kids crawl around - would you lie in a bed where the bedsheets hadn't been washed in over a decade ?
            Of course your tenants don't know that the carpets haven't been cleaned for over 10 years so they are non the wiser. Not a good look though is it?

Comment

Well you're not managing them yourself are you due to your too easy going accommodating manner .
              People lie down on carpets , and babies and kids crawl around - would you lie in a bed where the bedsheets hadn't been washed in over a decade ?
              Of course your tenants don't know that the carpets haven't been cleaned for over 10 years so they are non the wiser. Not a good look though is it?
              FFS I do wonder if you call yourself SANE when the opposite is true.
              I don't manage them myself but set the tone of what I'll accept.
              Nothing wrong with being easy going - better than uptight IMHO.

By the way - none of my carpets is over 10 years old. Oldest is probably 5 now.

What would you do in this situation.
              A reliable tenant of 5years + leaves the tap on in the kitchen sink (no history of having caused ANY damage in the past).
              Floods kitchen, lounge and hall floors.
              $800 to get it dried out.
              Potentially damage to the vinyl with water having gotten underneath so probably more expense there.
              Would you try to charge the tenant (insurance excess is $1150)?

Comment

^^^ Interesting question Wayne.

www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

People lie down on parks, and babies and kids crawl around -
                  Of course your tenants don't know that the parks haven't been sanatised for over 10 years so they are non the wiser.
                  Dogs crap on parks, people do snot rockets on them, hey, there may even be the occasional foot walking on them. Just a note. I edited the quote from mrsaneperson. To be clear, the emboldened and underlined words have been added/changed by me.
                  Last edited by Keys; 21-11-2018, 06:42 PM. Reason: Changed waking to walking

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                    Dogs crap on parks, people do snot rockets on them, hey, there may even be the occasional foot waking on them. Just a note. I edited the quote from mrsaneperson. To be clear, the emboldened and underlined words have been added/changed by me.
                    Yes but the outside environment is not their home and people are generally observant of this and so are more aware of looking out for said dog turds . But would you seriously lie down on bedsheets "knowingly" that hadn't been cleaned for 10 years?
                    Last edited by mrsaneperson; 21-11-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                      FFS I do wonder if you call yourself SANE when the opposite is true.
                      I don't manage them myself but set the tone of what I'll accept.
                      Nothing wrong with being easy going - better than uptight IMHO.

By the way - none of my carpets is over 10 years old. Oldest is probably 5 now.

What would you do in this situation.
                      A reliable tenant of 5years + leaves the tap on in the kitchen sink (no history of having caused ANY damage in the past).
                      Floods kitchen, lounge and hall floors.
                      $800 to get it dried out.
                      Potentially damage to the vinyl with water having gotten underneath so probably more expense there.
                      Would you try to charge the tenant (insurance excess is $1150)?
                      Like i said before would you knowingly lie down on bedsheets that hadn't been cleaned for 10 years or 5 years for that matter when you have moved into a new property?
                      Insurance is a rip-off so i don't have it ,its a careless action, so yes the tenant would need to pay me if they weren't insured. Start another thread for this.
                      Being to easy going or too uptight is not a good thing. Somewhere in the middle is where i stand
                      How is that insane?
                      Last edited by mrsaneperson; 21-11-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Like i said before would you knowingly lie down on bedsheets that hadn't been cleaned for 10 years?
                        Insurance is a rip-off so i don't have it ,its a careless action, so yes the tenant would need to pay me.
                        I hgear what you are saying about insurance - unfortunately banks require it but high excess can keep the cost down (use it for the big loss).
                        So you'd go to the TT on it given the tenant says it is an accident?
                        Have you had a case like this and you got recourse through the TT?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                          I hgear what you are saying about insurance - unfortunately banks require it but high excess can keep the cost down (use it for the big loss).
                          So you'd go to the TT on it given the tenant says it is an accident?
                          Have you had a case like this and you got recourse through the TT?
                          Yes i have done and this was after the Osaka case . The adjudicator asked me if i was insured in relation to some extensive carpet stain damage . I wasn't so she ruled the tenants obligation to pay me. Usual depreciation costs were taken into account.
                          The thread though is about carpet cleaning . I have asked friends around what would they think if they moved into a property where the carpets hadn't been washed , they all said they wouldn't like it and would feel uncomfortable lying down on the carpet. Wouldn't you? The cost factor is small , i think you're not seeing the right perspective on this.

Comment

Dogs crap on parks, people do snot rockets on them, hey, there may even be the occasional foot waking on them. Just a note. I edited the quote from mrsaneperson. To be clear, the emboldened and underlined words have been added/changed by me.
                            Lol, lol, lol. That's rich, Keys.
                            I suggest you edit your own post before editing others. Quote ...."there may even be the occasional foot WAKING on them". Unquote ... "wonder if that foot was sleep-walking". Gee, the poor bloody owner .....

Comment

HEY ! !

Shoot me for having fat fingers

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

HEY ! !

Shoot me for having fat fingers
                                Nope. Just a simple skim, with your eyes, brain (no fat fingers involved) would do it. Edit yourself before others.

Comment

Working...
                                X