Carpet clean at end of tenancy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet clean at end of tenancy.

Tenant has said it is not a requirement by law? It is in our TA which was signed. Clarification please anyone in the know?

Allowing for wear-and-tear, I have before and after photos and it does need a clean - but by whom?

"Reasonably clean and tidy" is what the law states. It's down to you and the tenant to agree what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
      "Reasonably clean and tidy" is what the law states. It's down to you and the tenant to agree what that means.
      So does our TA mean anything? TA stipulates to have proof of windows (interior) and carpet clean prior to point of departure to sign-off and agree on Bond for their refund.

Comment

You cant enforce a clause which is in breach of the Act. So you cant force a tenant to clean beyond "reasonably clean and tidy".

Comment

You cant enforce a clause which is in breach of the Act. So you cant force a tenant to clean beyond "reasonably clean and tidy".
          What breach of the Act please? So before and after photos mean zip? zero?

Comment

Asking for proof of professional cleaning is a breach of the Act. If the after photos show "reasonably clean and tidy" then you cant force anything more. Personally I wouldn't accept new stains or damage as "reasonably clean and tidy" but if you and your tenant cant agree then you'll have to go through mediation or TT.

Comment

Asking for proof of professional cleaning is a breach of the Act. If the after photos show "reasonably clean and tidy" then you cant force anything more. Personally I wouldn't accept new stains or damage as "reasonably clean and tidy" but if you and your tenant cant agree then you'll have to go through mediation or TT.
              Thanks .... which Act.

Comment

The one you would of read before deciding to manage your own rental. The residential tenancy act (RTA).

Comment

Originally posted by erinak View Post
                  Thanks .... which Act.
                  I am totally stunned. This is the very reason why those of us who take the job seriously are getting shafted.

Which Act indeed. This must be a wind up.

How long have you been a landlord? How many properties are under your care?

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

You can look up the act online

Read section 40. If you want some summary on it then go the tenancy services website. Like the others said you may need to get familiar with your responsibilities as a ll.

Comment

Professional carpet cleaning in the TA - refer here.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                        Professional carpet cleaning in the TA - refer here.

https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/disputes...tenancies-act/
                        Thanks so much Artemis.

I'm so glad someone actually got what I meant. I guess I should have put it much more simpler for others.

Comment

Do you think the cleaning is more than reasonably clean? If so then you may be on safe ground....
                          Fraser Wilkinson
                          www.managemyrental.co.nz
                          Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Originally posted by FJW View Post
                            Do you think the cleaning is more than reasonably clean? If so then you may be on safe ground....
                            Thanks FJW. I showed them the before and after pics and tenant agreed to have it cleaned. All good now.

Comment

For the average tenancy without spills / stains on carpet, it is still reasonable to request a carpet wash at end of tenancy.

The carpet comes in contact with feet daily, which contain oils, sweat etc.
                              After just 1 day your socks can smell for a reason and carpet is no different.
                              Further there is dirt and grime that get within a carpet that a household vacuum will never remove.

We believe on average, tenancies 6 months or more and a carpet wash is due.
                              Any adjudicator who argues against this needs to be calmly and carefully explained the sock analogy etc to understand basics of human hygiene.

Comment

Working...
                              X