Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleepout to minor dwelling query

Hi There,

I am just thinking of options of converting a 1 bed sleepout that has laundry, bathroom (plumbing) to a minor dwelling for a property in Manurewa Auckland that comes mixed housing suburban. Sleep out isn't attached to main house but to garage. And it has separate power meter.

It looks like that it is now considered as an additional dwelling but not granny flat anymore and required to pay development contribution, storm water connection, water meter just to get a new kitchen in there.

Have you guys observed increase in development contribution in the past 2 to 3 years? Just trying to understand the budget for me?

Any input on the expenses in the current market would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 😊.

Originally posted by aucklandn81 View Post
    Hi There,

I am just thinking of options of converting a 1 bed sleepout that has laundry, bathroom (plumbing) to a minor dwelling for a property in Manurewa Auckland that comes mixed housing suburban. Sleep out isn't attached to main house but to garage. And it has separate power meter.

It looks like that it is now considered as an additional dwelling but not granny flat anymore and required to pay development contribution, storm water connection, water meter just to get a new kitchen in there.

Have you guys observed increase in development contribution in the past 2 to 3 years? Just trying to understand the budget for me?

Any input on the expenses in the current market would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 😊.
    Any thoughts or experiences please?

Comment

it is existing.? Dev levy shouldnt apply. You are not converting it as it is already a MD or a second dwelling?

seperate utilities should only be triggered by subdivision and you arent doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
        it is existing.? Dev levy shouldnt apply. You are not converting it as it is already a MD or a second dwelling?

seperate utilities should only be triggered by subdivision and you arent doing that?
        Thank you for taking the time to reply to it. John.
        Existing one is a sleepout and not attached to main building but it's not a MD. I am trying to get it converted to MD if possible.

Comment

So what makes an MD???

It already is one what is missing?

If it was attached to house then a granny flat is exempted fire seperation etc but if seperate these are already there.

If you tick the boxes then you already have an MD

Comment

So what makes an MD???

It already is one what is missing?

If it was attached to house then a granny flat is exempted fire seperation etc but if seperate these are already there.

If you tick the boxes then you already have an MD
            My understanding of MD or granny flat is that it has a kitchen, which can be rented out separately. In my case, I thought that I can't do it as it is a sleepout with out kitchen.

Is something changed lately for you to tell that I already have MD or have I got it wrong?

I am trying to get a permission to add kitchen under current rules to rent it out separately.

Comment

but not granny flat anymore
              sorry I thought you were saying it was a granny flat.

You could change the laundry to a kitchen without a consent? What does council think is there now?

It sounds as if multi units are allowed as of right?

you can convert without needing consent, who says it wasnt there already?

I personally think that dev levy should only apply to new building work and your household use is already established?

change the laundry and provide council with a schedule 1 report. THis is strictly not a change of use, This gets the new 'use' onto the file?

Comment

sorry I thought you were saying it was a granny flat.

You could change the laundry to a kitchen without a consent? What does council think is there now?

It sounds as if multi units are allowed as of right?

you can convert without needing consent, who says it wasnt there already?

I personally think that dev levy should only apply to new building work and your household use is already established?

change the laundry and provide council with a schedule 1 report. THis is strictly not a change of use, This gets the new 'use' onto the file?
                Sorry, I don't know. This forum has been very useful in getting information and people's experience, which is why I thought of posting to get to know of any sleepout to MD equivalent conversions under current rules if anyone has gone through the process lately. Thank you for your time anyway.

Comment

You can ask the council without disclosing your address
                  Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                    You can ask the council without disclosing your address
                    Thank you very much for the thought. Nick. I will give it a try.

Comment

It's hard to advice without knowing all the details.

If I'm to do it I'd start from getting a property file to establish what Council knows about your property. Worst case sleepout is not on the plans hence unconsented. Best case it's on the plan and laundry as well.
                      But even with best case it's still not a separate household and would rather count as granny flat.

Comment

Originally posted by AlFa View Post
                        It's hard to advice without knowing all the details.

If I'm to do it I'd start from getting a property file to establish what Council knows about your property. Worst case sleepout is not on the plans hence unconsented. Best case it's on the plan and laundry as well.
                        But even with best case it's still not a separate household and would rather count as granny flat.
                        Thank you. Alfa. It is in LIM.

Comment

you need more than a LIM what do plans show?

If you relocate laundry and cponvert to kit you dont need building consent?

If you can establish a minor dwelling as of right and no RC is required then planning is taken care of?

An important consideration is that if a RC or building consent is not required then development levy cannot be charged under s198 of LGA 2002.

Council will not tell you this as they want the money?

Comment

you need more than a LIM what do plans show?

If you relocate laundry and cponvert to kit you dont need building consent?

If you can establish a minor dwelling as of right and no RC is required then planning is taken care of?

An important consideration is that if a RC or building consent is not required then development levy cannot be charged under s198 of LGA 2002.

Council will not tell you this as they want the money?
                            Oh, Thank you very much for the advice. John. I will go through the plans first and it might be worth catching up with an architect/draftsman then. Do you guys know of any good ones by any chance?

Comment

Admin, I have just spent some time writing a considered and possibly helpful response about my experience with this.
                              I left for half an hour, came back and finished it, posted it, and it is not there.
                              Can you get it back?
                              What might have happened? Could it be that I was automatically logged out while I paused?

Comment

Working...
                              X