Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It lists the verboten "R" word.
    Responsibility.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Over the past few months, after refinancing to a new bank (twice), I've had to open a deduction account and been given a wee info pamphlet that lists the requisites for opening an account. Such requisites include a passport. Not as one of a few options. No. They want your passport and your drivers' licence, although the licence can be substituted with a firearms licence, a NZ ID card (whatever that is) or an over-18 card.
      As I don't currently have a passport, this threw them into something of a tizzy, trying to figure out what accommodation could be reached in my case.

But it got me thinking. Clearly, if a passport is their default ID and they assume that anyone opening an account has a passport, then every man and his dog must have one. International travel, once a luxury after everything else is paid, including a home bought, now is commonplace for most people opening a bank account.

Prioritising travel over getting ahead is a sure way to not do so. Although I love to travel and traipsing around ruins is my happy place, I haven't done so in years, as I've been putting my money into property.
      My blog. From personal experience.
      http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
        Over the past few months, after refinancing to a new bank (twice), I've had to open a deduction account and been given a wee info pamphlet that lists the requisites for opening an account. Such requisites include a passport. ...
        Weird. I think I only needed a passport to open ASB account 10 years ago just because I haven't had any other ID. Once I've got NZ driver's license none of other 4 banks asked me for it

Comment

Then came the AML (anti-money-laundering) legislation and now much more is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
            Then came the AML (anti-money-laundering) legislation and now much more is needed.
            Driver's license and utility bill. So all the same

Comment

Is it not a bit more than that for conveyancing, now?

Comment

Is it not a bit more than that for conveyancing, now?
                Nope, met the lawyer just today

Comment

Coincidentally, so did I. I had to provide a suitable account / bill, driver's licence and bankcard of some sort.*

Interestingly, he told me that all those docs (and ID copies) would be scanned then shredded. PoAs and Wills were among the few paper items that they retained nowadays, in their fire-proof deed room.

I said why the paper? Why not tablets with signable screens?

It's coming, he replied.

* It's going to get hard for older people who no longer drive or have a passport. A bank officer once told me that senior citizens should be told to retain their drivers licences, even after they stop driving, as they could still be used for ID purposes.

Comment

Coincidentally, so did I. I had to provide a suitable account / bill, driver's licence and bankcard of some sort.*

Interestingly, he told me that all those docs (and ID copies) would be scanned then shredded. PoAs and Wills were among the few paper items that they retained nowadays, in their fire-proof deed room.
                    It's weird mate. The only thing I noticed since new AML that RE agent now require this set of docs. Lawyers have been asking this stuff for ages

Comment

Working...
                    X