• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sidinz View Post
    Anyone watch 'The Good Shit'? Doco about trying to combat lifelong obesity through new treatment theory.

Anyway, one of the participants (who was unhappy about her weight and wanted to slim down) was an Islander girl. Uni student who was huge and noticeably putting on weight on a weekly basis. (She was thrilled when it slowed down to 2kg over six weeks, at one point.)

But to hear her talk........ she explained that they ate takeaways every night, because her mother finished work at five and the vege shop closed at five.

I'll say it again...she was a university student.

They also showed footage of her going to the night markets and buying more junk food, including a big batch of donuts, while talking about how junk food was cheap, so that was another reason. I've been to the same night market she was in - I never buy much as it's expensive!

So she was looking for - literally - a magic pill, rather than make simple lifestyle changes or look for solutions to their so-called timing problem. This is despite her being, presumably, intelligent enough to go to university.

That, to me, is a poverty mentality.

(She ended up, at the six-month mark, having put on 8kg of fat.)
    Good smarts and bad habits can happily co exist in the same brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
    Lower expectations of oneself and others results in a society that accepts average.
    Wouldn't it be nice if the attitudes of one individual could sway the masses to that amount.

Accepting average is a race to the bottom.

In yourself? or others? Accepting something is the same as dong it? Chosing a direction up or down is the only option, what bout staying still? or moving side wards?

It if you’re average our red shirt mates will give you everything you need so why try harder.
    Where can I find some good old fashioned Reds these days?

Thing is getting free stuff for no effort quickly moved from a hand out to an expectation
    People will acclimatise to most things.

Adding up all your statements, I get the feeling that you've assembled a very nice mantra.

It looks good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if the attitudes of one individual could sway the masses to that amount.

In yourself? or others? Accepting something is the same as dong it? Chosing a direction up or down is the only option, what bout staying still? or moving side wards?

Where can I find some good old fashioned Reds these days?

People will acclimatise to most things.

Adding up all your statements, I get the feeling that you've assembled a very nice mantra.

It looks good on you.
    thankyou.

The reality is you either contribute to society or are an anchor on it. I prefer the former.

Good smarts and bad habits can happily co exist in the same brain.
    Yes, but those smarts should have told her that those excuses were bullshit.
    She just didn't want to put any effort into solving her problem. And therein lies the poverty mindset.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sidinz View Post
    Yes, but those smarts should have told her that those excuses were bullshit.
    She just didn't want to put any effort into solving her problem. And therein lies the poverty mindset.
    The old McDuck brain is full of fragments of human interactions most curious.

On this occasion it dishes up an interaction between Te Radar and an islander lady.
    He was too skinny to be attractive to her.
    Weight is a sign of wealth and prestige in her village.

thankyou.

The reality is you either contribute to society or are an anchor on it. I prefer the former.
    That's a much nicer, more condensed mantra.

What can I contribute?

Does it have to be work? Ploughing a field with next season's crop?

Or could I be the minstrel who shares some of last seasons bread in exchange for a song?
    (The farmers life is much happier with a beer and a song at the end of a long day).

Could I just think up a bit of math? like E=Mc2? and build a bomb that stops a war?

What could I contribute?...in your opinion?

Sit there and sing all you like. But don't expect others to fund your existence.

The interesting thing is many people choose to do what makes them happy - that often isn't the responsible choice - smashed Avo anyone?

The thing about being an adult is that you have responsibilities... sometimes those responsibilities aren't fun nor do they make you happy but nonetheless they must be done.

In the past society moved forward was dictated by the fastest in the group and the majority tried to keep up.Today we seem to be more concerned about moving at the pace of the slowest individuals.

Sit there and sing all you like. But don't expect others to fund your existence.
    Taylor Swift seemed to be doing pretty well out of stretching the pipes last night. Should she be in the kitchen cooking? having babies? running a big company?

The interesting thing is many people choose to do what makes them happy - that often isn't the responsible choice - smashed Avo anyone?
    The thing about being an adult is that you have responsibilities... sometimes those responsibilities aren't fun nor do they make you happy but nonetheless they must be done.
    Soo...I'm probably on the right track if I'm unhappy?
    Suffering is the only thing that deserves to be paid for?

In the past society moved forward was dictated by the fastest in the group and the majority tried to keep up. Today we seem to be more concerned about moving at the pace of the slowest individuals.
    Where is or was this society you're talking about?
    It's moving forward?
    Where is it going?
    Toward some sort of vision or goal?
    What does that goal look like?
    I'm not sure you're going to get too many followers unless they get to stop for beer and music along the way.

I'm not sure you're going to get too many followers unless they get to stop for beer and music along the way.
    Hypes gain, their loss.
    Or another way of putting it:
    Hype - the turtle that plods along consistantly.
    Them - the easily distracted (your example) hare. Rewards, beer and music, before effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsvee View Post
    Hypes gain, their loss.
    Or another way of putting it:
    Hype - the turtle that plods along consistantly.
    Them - the easily distracted (your example) hare. Rewards, beer and music, before effort.
    Ahhh.
    The tortoise and the hare.
    A tale by Aesop , the storytelling Greek slave from two and a half thousand years ago.
    Slow and steady wins the race?
    Don't be arrogant?

I always wondered what they were racing for?
    From a biological point of view, both speed and a hard shell are equally valid defences against airborne predators like a Hawke.

I expect a Greek slave had a very good reason for hoping that perseverance beats flare.
    I wonder how you adopted it as your mantra?
    A children's story when you were young? Or a Disney cartoon, that seeped into your ethos while yo were too small to consider it?

Thread Information