• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Multi kitchen property

Has anyone built a new home with two kitchens or added an extra kitchen to an existing house?

My question is do you need to get approval from the neighbors to have the extra kitchen in the house?

2 years ago I built a 3 story home that had two kitchens in it, the owner had plumbed and wired up for the 3rd kitchen but it was not put in and was not shown during council inspections, the plan was for them to add it in down the track. I didnít want to touch any of the work incase something came against me and my LBP number. It was for him and his kids + grandkids.

I remember the owner saying he had to get permission from the neighbors to get the extra kitchens, Iím not sure if he meant the 2nd kitchen it was it permission for the 3rd?

Iím looking to build a home and income property but if you have to go around asking for permission from neighbors I might not bother.

Cheers

Nieghours dont generally come into it but can be the ones who complain?

second kitchens are percieved as second households

you need to be able to satisfy building act (which allows for self contained spaces in the same dwelling) and the planning rules that limit uses on a site.

If you can have multiple dwelling on the site as of right then planning is easier.

Planners also recognise a minor dwelling as add on to a main dwelling but this depends on your zoning?

I am disappointed you feel pressured as an LBP. Surely when you act as owner (and not as LBP) you are not under scrutiny?

I really didnít trust the home owner at all, I was worried if something went wrong with it (caught fire or a pipe leaked) and there was an insurance claim and they looked at the plans and noticed there shouldnít be a kitchen there that he would try pass it onto me for putting it in and me getting asked why my work wasnít on council records. I know the chances of that are slim...

cool, hopefully I can put the second kitchen in no problem then. Maybe the multi kitchen house I built had something in its planning rules, it was a new subdivision, they sometimes have limits to what can be done, no transportable homes, certain landscaping etc.

You'll need a consent for sure. Essentially you're triggering planning rules that it's another dwelling. You could wall off selectively and have two houses. So parking rules, lot sizes, outdoor space all might come into play. I'm not joking (unfortunately).
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    You'll need a consent for sure. Essentially you're triggering planning rules that it's another dwelling. You could wall off selectively and have two houses. So parking rules, lot sizes, outdoor space all might come into play. I'm not joking (unfortunately).
    Have you heard of having to get permission from neighbors for this?

only if you infringe a rule and neighbors permission mitigates the adverse effect ( sunlight and proximity to boundary for example)

Just be aware that if, for example, you rent out the area with this new kitchen, anybody can complain and you can be prosecuted. But unless it's a cross lease or you are breaching a rule as John mentions, it's none of the neighbours business.

for example, you rent out the area with this new kitchen, anybody can complain and you can be prosecuted
    apart from some dodgy TT rulings () what act would you be prosecuted under?

Well last time it happened to me it was the fact that it was rented out to a third party. But we have debated this before. You maintain you should tell the council to roger themselves. That may be legally sound but you have to know what you don't know. Cost me a fortune in daily fines and abatement notices, rehousing tenant etc. etc.

Cheers guys

Thread Information