Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats required for a 'Final Residential Inspection'

Hi all

I've almost reached the end of a relocated house project, and have the Final Residential Inspection left. As I've self managed this, I really don't know what I need to do to pass the final hurdle. All other inspection, like bracing, drainage etc has been approved.

This is the description:

To check that all construction associated with the building consent
    has been completed; this includes painting and decorating; floor
    coverings; fixtures; fittings; electrical work; heating appliances; etc

My consent was not specific on the painting, floor coverings, heating etc. So my question is, to what standard does the internal and external house need to be in? Does it need to be fully repainted inside and out? Does a stove need to be installed and a heat source?

Power is running and so is water, driveways and fencing complete.

Just need some guidance as to what exactly is required.

Thanks in advance.

You don't actually need a building consent for a relocation. (However, you may need a resource consent.)
    The councils happily tell people that you do, but MBIE determinations have held that relocations are not "building work" as the house has already been built. You only need a building consent for any new "building work" associated with the relocation (like the foundations, sewers etc.) that would normally require a consent due to being restricted work.

Thus, councils are over-stepping when they require any upgrading as you've detailed.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

My experience was it all needs to be painted. The floors which were resanded needed a PS3 to confirm 3 coats of polyurethane had been done. Silicone was checked for in wet areas. I was asked to provide a product warranty on some roofing material. A few other things were noted but were not part of the consent and I had to write a letter to confirm no work was carried out on those areas.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLibrary View Post
        My experience was it all needs to be painted. The floors which were resanded needed a PS3 to confirm 3 coats of polyurethane had been done. Silicone was checked for in wet areas. I was asked to provide a product warranty on some roofing material. A few other things were noted but were not part of the consent and I had to write a letter to confirm no work was carried out on those areas.
        Thanks guys. The houses were in pretty good condition when I got them.

So a few cracks etc from the move which have been touched up and painted. Apart from that, we have not touched anything. From your comments , I will need to spend a little more time in the bathroom just retouching cracks and silicone.

We had second hand building reports completed on the houses, and they also noted minimal work was required in that report.

Did you recall if you needed to repaint the outside too? And whether there was a need for a heat source? Any other little fish hooks that you can recall would be good, as I just want to be covered.

Comment

look at the building consent.
          that defines the building work which is what the council need to inspect. this includes foundation electrical work certificate and drainage

you may also have had a resource consent which may have conditions on what happens to the houses.. colour insulation fencing etc

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
            look at the building consent.
            that defines the building work which is what the council need to inspect. this includes foundation electrical work certificate and drainage

you may also have had a resource consent which may have conditions on what happens to the houses.. colour insulation fencing etc
            We were able to negotiate our way out of a resource consent, as the overland flow path was minor. So no conditions there.

My building consent didn't contain any requirements, apart from foundations, drainage and a 'final residential inspection.' The plans that were approved also had no specs or upgrades that were required.

I've uploaded the schedule of inspections in case this helps. https://ibb.co/jzzxxK

Comment

If you google final checklist and auckland council you should find something. It was a general overall inspection. I would get the statements from your tradesman or the builder may have them. Either way, if you dont pass, they leave you with a list of things to do. They add it to the bill, but it removes the stress if you are not familiar with the process.

Comment

I agree with the lib
                while the final insp list discusses painting etc this is a general requirement that would relate to say a new house (painting strictly wet areas)

I think you should call the inspection but keep the inspector focused on the consented work and maintain your position that internal works are not in the consent and under schedule 1 (exempt from requirement for consent)

Comment

Originally posted by TheLibrary View Post
                  The floors which were resanded needed a PS3 to confirm 3 coats of polyurethane had been done.
                  What the hell? Floor treatments are not a restricted activity for which a consent is required. So how do they justify asking for a producer statement?
                  I redid a whole bathroom, replacing all the sanitary fixtures and moving them around. No consent required. Therefore I certainly didn't inform the council that I was also sanding and polishing the floors (which I did myself). If this sort of info is not required for houses already in situ, how can it be required for houses being relocated?
                  My blog. From personal experience.
                  http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Not sure where you are but have you put cladding on the base to cover the piles? If so Akld Council expect either timber battens or fibrolite sheets to be painted. If using fibrolite must have vents at specified distances. Also they check for smoke alarms! Yes believe me they do!
                    You should also have all your producer statements in the file, and LBP details need to be sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                      Not sure where you are but have you put cladding on the base to cover the piles? If so Akld Council expect either timber battens or fibrolite sheets to be painted. If using fibrolite must have vents at specified distances. Also they check for smoke alarms! Yes believe me they do!
                      You should also have all your producer statements in the file, and LBP details need to be sighted.
                      That's ridiculous - I'm in Auckland and have installed timber battens. I like the look of natural timber and really don't want to be painting them.

I might just need to roll the dice and book in that inspection and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryCat View Post
                        That's ridiculous - I'm in Auckland and have installed timber battens. I like the look of natural timber and really don't want to be painting them.

I might just need to roll the dice and book in that inspection and see how it goes.
                        If it's H3 treated I can't see how they could demand that the base cladding be painted.
                        As has been suggested - keep to checking that the consent items are done. This doesn't include interior painting etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                          If it's H3 treated I can't see how they could demand that the base cladding be painted.
                          As has been suggested - keep to checking that the consent items are done. This doesn't include interior painting etc.
                          I'm only speaking from experience in dealings with Akld Council. Like why do they inspect smoke alarms inside when doing a final inspection for a repile? They just do. Why would they demand fibrolite be painted? They just do.

Comment

they have to inspect smoke detectors because under s112 means of escape has to be considered and that ioncludes SD

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                              they have to inspect smoke detectors because under s112 means of escape has to be considered and that ioncludes SD
                              But in our case we haven't even entered the building only worked outside under the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X