Fireline requirements for inner city properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireline requirements for inner city properties

I am renovating a villa in Wellington and have been told I need to use fireline Gib on the interior on the north side. No alternations to the outside of the property at all on that side, however insulating the wall on the inside and re-gibbing because we're remodeling and insulating. House is within 1m of the boundary.

I can see the point if you touch the outside... but the inside? I'm not a builder but that's the first I have heard except for between dwellings for flats. House is 110 year old dry timber.

Would appreciate any wise advice as to whether I can push back on this or it's better to just pay the man.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
    I am renovating a villa in Wellington and have been told I need to use fireline Gib on the interior on the north side.
    There would never be a requirement to 'use fireline Gib'. It is only used in context, as part of a fire rated system. Just throwing up a single wall of fireline by itself doesn't achieve anything.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
      There would never be a requirement to 'use fireline Gib'. It is only used in context, as part of a fire rated system. Just throwing up a single wall of fireline by itself doesn't achieve anything.
      Oh come on man, you're making sense.

This is the council we're dealing with.

But seriously Nick, what rule or bit of law or what have you are the citing on this?

Is there a fire design in place as part of the renovation?
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

walls within 1m of a boundary need to be fire rated but this is achieved with windows and exterior face as well. The question is should you put fyreline now where you can and it would be sensible. There is an exeption for linings in schedule 1 so you dont have to involve council

The wall is currently non compliant?under s42A building act technically as long as the work you do does not make this non compliance worse then you can carry on but fyreline would make it better so a prudent thing to do. Even standard gib would be better than what is there now?

Comment

You'll need some more of those fireproof windows Nick!
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Hi Nick,
            Assuming the alterations to the building require a building consent application, then under NZBC Section 112 you are required to assess means of egress however if no external alterations are proposed you are not require to assess external fire spread to neighbouring property (boundary). A fire engineering report would be sufficient to support BC application.

if the wall is within 1 m of relevant boundary then a two-way fire rated walls is required under code to meet compliance, so relining the internals would be meet compliance. there would also be an exterior surface finish (cladding limitations) if the external wall is within 1 m of the relevant boundary.

Please get in contact if you require assistance with a fire engineering report.

Kind Regards
            Luke

Comment

proximity to boundary is not a matter of means of escape?

Comment

Working...
              X