• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default BC doesn't fix non-working ventilation in apartment

Hi all,

I own an apartment (rented out now) in multi apartment building. Building is quite new (2009 y). Recently I decided to terminate contract with property managers and manage it myself. During the first inspection I found out that carpet near apartment window is covered with mold. On photos from the previous inspection in June carpet was ok. So I think I can ask tenants at the end of their fixed term to pay for carpet repair even though carpet is 9 y old?

Here part 2 comes. Tenants said ventilation in apartment doesn't work as expected. At least electric fan(s). They informed building manager about this before and handyman came to check it but couldn't find the reason. I asked BM what's happened with ventilation. He confirmed something wrong with ventilation and it's not just in my apartment but in all apartments on 2 levels in this building. Also he wrote that he would send me update. I haven't heard about ventilation repair progress since then (2 weeks ago).

Questions:
    1. What's a proper way to communicate with body corporate representatives. Should I now post them written complaint and ask how and when they are going to fix it. I used email before.
    If body corporate will not fix it in reasonable time where to send complaint next?

2. If ventilation in apartment doesn't work properly do you think it's ok to ask tenants for carpet repair or it's on me now? I think even if electric fans don't work air should circulate somehow. Tenants still have to open windows during day time and don't let carpet near window to become so wet.

Thanks!

What sort of fans are you talking about? If the fans are part of the apartment then they may
    not be a bc concern?

You’re a member of the body corporate.
    If the common property (air condition/ventilation) needs repair it’s BC’s decision about steps and budget.

If something under tenant’s control is defect; first step - the tenant is in charge to minimize any damage (e.g. ventilating by opening windows), and secondly the LL must be informed to take care for any steps of repair.

Useful info here. If writing to the BC Chair cite the disputes procedure (via Tenancy Tribunal). Should get some attention. It is expensive though. The previous government planned to reduce the fee significantly but no idea where that has disappeared to.

https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/uta/

Thread Information