• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Thread: Turtle as Pet?

Default Turtle as Pet?

Hi guys,

I've got a residential tenant. Young guy, around 20.

Selected by the PM. Very good references.

Been in the place around 3 months, which is an upstairs apartment, carpet on the floors.

He now wants a turtle as a pet...

What does everyone think?

I'd be concerned about it's tank/aquarium thing leaking. Possibly staining the carpet.

But also, he'd take it out of the tank and 'play' with it right? Do they crap on the floor? I supposed they must?
    Squadly dinky do!

You don't really, it's like goldfish or geckos, they just live there.

First, someone should explain to the young man that these things live longer than he will. My fiends bought turtles when they were young and years on they're still changing water, cleaning tanks. They moved into a place with a garden, built a pond, run a pump. It's a lot of work for a rock with legs.

On the pet damage scale, it's really low. Only thing that can really happen is as you say a leak or upturned tank. If there are tanks with a tray to collect any spill I wouldn't be concerned.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    You don't really, it's like goldfish or geckos, they just live there.

First, someone should explain to the young man that these things live longer than he will. My fiends bought turtles when they were young and years on they're still changing water, cleaning tanks. They moved into a place with a garden, built a pond, run a pump. It's a lot of work for a rock with legs.

On the pet damage scale, it's really low. Only thing that can really happen is as you say a leak or upturned tank. If there are tanks with a tray to collect any spill I wouldn't be concerned.
    Thanks very much Nick.
    Squadly dinky do!

tortoise?

as in it walks

not swims

sometimes spends winter hibernating in a cardboard box in the wardrobe
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

One thing to think about is my niece had 2 small turtles for a year in a large tank, my sister said was that they had a real problem with moisture, it appeared to make the room damp. When she got rid of the turtles, problem disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by north shore View Post
    One thing to think about is my niece had 2 small turtles for a year in a large tank, my sister said was that they had a real problem with moisture, it appeared to make the room damp. When she got rid of the turtles, problem disappeared.
    I did wonder about that.
    Squadly dinky do!

Thread Information