• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

View Poll Results: Are You Going to Make Submission?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • You are joking, right? I wouldn't waste my time.

4 23.53%
  • A very brief one

7 41.18%
  • Long, lengthy & detailed

4 23.53%
  • Yes, and if an option, I'll be asking to be heard in person.

2 11.76%
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Hi Artemis - you seem well versed in submissions, would it be possible for you to post a submission here for people to copy the parts they agree with into individual submissions? You'd be more likely to get people to make submissions and have a common thread in the different submissions.

Nick G - Might be worth making the same suggestion on the FB forum you manage.

Some ideas for the submission:

Accidental Damage - Damage is damage. If you or your guests cause the damage you are responsible for paying for the repair.

Non Payment of rent - This is theft. If you don't pay for something you use you're stealing. Unpaid rent should incur interest payments and or late fees like any other unpaid debt.

Tenant Insurance - Think of this as a risk based bond. An insurance company take the bond and guarantees payment for all things you can claim against the bond. Good tenants would have lower premiums therefore lower bonds over time. The process would be more efficient than the current system and there is a HUGE incentive for the tenants to look after the property they're in and pay rent on time.

Rent Guarantee Insurance - The government should initiate an insurance scheme where tenants pay an annual cover (maybe part of their bond) so the insurance will pay rent if the tenant stops paying rent. If a tenant doesn't pay their rent or pay back the insurance company they will be unable to get this insurance package. This will free up TT time to focus on other things.

Non Payment of Rent Tenancy Hearings - TT must have a maximum wait time to hear a case i.e. 2 weeks with an application made once rent arrears are 2 weeks. This means a decision is made

TT centralized collection of unpaid rent - Where TT agrees to a rental recovery program the TT could be the central collection for this would make the system more efficient as a result costing less.

Anti Social Behaviour - Need to make it easier to remove people who are antisocial or cause problems for neighbors. Burden of proof needs to be clear and actionable

Pet Bond - you want a pet, you need to be prepared to pay the cost of damage. An additional bond to cover common pet issues - scratched floors/doors, soiled carpets, damaged curtains etc. It should also be mandated that a professional clean at the end of tenancy.

Illegal activity (i.e. drug use) - Immediate eviction.

More certainty for renters - If the government want to introduce caps on rent increases etc then all risks associated with ownership of the property move to the landlord ( If our costs go up we can't then recover these costs). They also say they want to create certainty of tenancy for long term renters. There might be a number of long term landlords who would prefer the option to rent their properties under terms more like commercial leases where a family can get a 10 year lease , responsible for outgoings with agreed renewal and rent increase agreed upfront and a make good clause as per commercial leases
    Last edited by Don't believe the Hype; 29-08-2018 at 12:31 PM.

This issue has lit up comments over at Kiwiblog - comments from all points of view. Left, right, neither, landlords, tenants .....

Worth a glance.

www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2018/08/rental_changes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsvee View Post
    I wish you all the very best for the future.

Personally I'm cashing out (put the houses on the market almost a month ago) and putting my money elsewhere. This all just reinforces my decision.
    Unfortunately this is exactly what the little red army wants you to do..... "Yay more homes for first home buyers" will be their triumphant cry.

Nobody seems to understand the economics of it. Now all these people who have been "forced" into rentals for so long think they will suddenly be able to get on the property ladder, but alas they will turn up at their bank and apply for a loan, only to be told that because they have 4 children, the bank's algorithm says they can't service a mortgage. But oh sh*t, now there's a scarcity of rentals due to investors exiting the game...

But I agree Sportsvee, I am tempted to sell up now while the going is still relatively good, pay off my own mortgage and get into some small scale developing or maybe even commercial. The problem with this is that looking at Trademe last night, I think a lot of investors may already have made the same decision - there are an awful lot of 2 bedroom investor type properties for sale in Christchurch right now.

Default Fairness, you say? The Gummint Wouldn't Have a Clue

Is it worth 'taking a leaf out of the book' of the biased media sensationalists and using provocative and assertive, perhaps even emotional language? Something like:

Do you have any idea of the heavy anti-LL, pro-tenant, pro-government bias in the Residential Tenancies Act?

Potential examples:

Did you know that the way the Residential Tenancies Act is presently written allows a tenant to borrow money from a landlady, without her permission, without paying interest - and - in many cases - without having to pay it back?
    (Artemis' comment, in effect)

Did you know that the way the Residential Tenancies Act is presently written makes it unlawful act for a landlady to not provide the premises in a reasonable state of cleanliness, but it is not an unlawful act for a tenant to not keep the premises reasonably clean and reasonably tidy.

Did you know that the way that Phil Twyford wants to fiddle the Residential Tenancies Act will likely make it an unlawful act for a landlady to give a 90 end-of-tenancy notice without also giving a reason, but it will not be an unlawful act for a tenant to give a 90 day end-of-tenancy notice without also giving a reason.

How is that equitable? Oh, that's right: it's not. It's a Labour gummint pandering to a small section of its core voters.

As for the brain-dead expression, "no-cause terminations . . . ."

Of course there is a cause. Either the tenant wants to vacate or the LL wants the tenant to vacate. What is really meant is "no-reason-given 90 day end-of-tenancy notice."

As for my allegation of government bias, let someone ask Dhil Twitford what he did with the millions of dollars in tenants' bonds which gummints have pocketed in recent years?

Watch out for the flood of crocodile tears.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Default Rent reviews annually

Hi how & when would you recommend calculating and conducting rent reviews in the light of the law change to annual rent increases. Do we wait & see what happens to market rents or just apply increases now. Seeing as insurance & rates have increased significantly along with no letting fees, covering those losses is a packet now

Lots if great ideas. I think the insurance idea for lost rent and pets would be useful. I'll add it to my submission.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
    Hi Artemis - you seem well versed in submissions, would it be possible for you to post a submission here for people to copy the parts they agree with into individual submissions? You'd be more likely to get people to make submissions and have a common thread in the different submissions.

Nick G - Might be worth making the same suggestion on the FB forum you manage.
    I see you have made a good start.

In the past I have made a few submissions, detailed and research based where poss. They take a lot of time.

No longer interested with this government. They are committed to forging ahead with their agenda, maybe making an occasional small concession to show they are listening.

So as I mentioned above I will make a submission. It will say - Let's do this. Fewer rentals, higher rents, pick of the best tenants.

PS One rental sold, one will be converted to commercial by end September, two rented to family. The latter all done legally with proper tenancy agreements and within the Bond Centre's market rents. The others attract good tenants due to condition and especially location.

Hi folks, I'm new here. A few of the points I'm making:

Most NZ landlords are just Mum and Dad very small investors. Many have a friendly, trusting and helpful relationship with their tenants, don’t use an expensive agent, do small repairs themselves, keep the rent reasonable (barely keeping up with inflation), and would allow a tenant to put up a picture or shelving if both agree. Most landlords would give a reason and be apologetic if they needed to reclaim possession.

This proposed law will destroy all that friendliness and trust. Many people will want to stop being landlords, for fear of not being able to take possession if they did need to. Those remaining landlords will run the tenancy as a business, through an expensive agency. Agents will charge maximum market rent, increase the rent annually, use tradespeople for the smallest repairs and demand far more evidence that a tenant is reliable before considering them. This all will cost more and the cost will be reflected in higher rents.

Not everything should be made a law – the government doesn’t need to run everything. The main problem with NZ housing appears to be moisture and cold. Recent insulation increases will help with warmth. Moisture and mould need to be controlled mainly by the tenants: airing daily, wiping mould away and keeping everything clean. This is simply a need whether one lives in a rented or owned accommodation and can’t be the landlord’s responsibility.

Sensible landlords already put such requirements into a tenancy agreement.

Regarding pets, New Zealand should be lowering the number of cats and dogs for environmental reasons. Encouraging even more dogs and cats to destroy native birdlife is the exact opposite of what an environmentally aware government should be doing.
    Other environmental concerns are their use of resources, especially meat, and that their faeces further strains sewers and landfills.

You have also completely failed to consider a great danger to other tenants: allergens. 10% of the population can be allergic to dogs, with symptoms of rashes, sneezing, congestion, wheezing, vomiting from coughing, itching.

Cat allergies can even be deadly: “In some severe cases, reactions may progress rapidly to cause the victim’s airway to become inflamed and close up, requiring emergency medical attention. Those with severe, life-threatening cat allergies face tremendous challenges due to lack of public awareness about anaphylactic cat allergies” (see Wikipedia)

These allergens can remain in the air, carpets, rugs and between floorboards for years. However clean a house looks, the allergens can remain.

It is therefore safer for tenants to know that a rental property has never contained pets and better for landlords to know that no future tenants will be affected by allergens.

Furthermore, many people are very afraid of dogs and other tenants will prefer to know that there is a ‘no dogs’ policy.

The state of the housing market is not caused by landlords. The housing shortage is a direct result of a failing housing policies in terms of land, built- price, built-quality and lack of incentives to invest in replacing and upgrading the dated housing stock.
    It’s also a failure to maintain, manage and divide the housing market in owner-occupied and rental housing by bullying landlords into a situation that is not good for property investors and renters alike.

My parents were renting for life a bigger house with kids and retired a 2-br apartment. I grew up in housing market that treats domestic (home owners & tenants) and commercial housing equal, saying tenants rights are based on their liabilities. That works like commercial leases, tenants sign a lease, renovate their new house before moving in and bring their own kitchen, appliances, etc and stay as long as they comply with the renting law.

If tenants are liable for any damage, pets, council fees charged to the household (water, rubbish collection, road service, etc) during the occupation, I would like it giving them the keys as landlord.
    Last edited by klauster; 29-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Thread Information