• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trees overhanging driveway

The tenant complained that some trees were over-hanging the driveway and interfering with the power line.

So me, a step ladder and my trusty handsaw head on out to see what the problem is and, sure enough, some branches are leaning on the power line between the road and the house.

While I'm sawing through the offending branches, tenant arrives home, dons his trusty wellies and he and a mate proceed to be extremely helpful in assisting with chop of said branches, mentioning how it will be better driving down the drive without the branches rubbing against the car.

Which all raises the question, given that he has proved himself capable of such arduous physical labour and it will make his life easier, why didn't just get on with the pruning himself?

smh
    DFTBA

What? Next you'll be wanting him to clean the house, pull the curtains & open windows on occasion.
    Probably expect the rent paid on time as well.
    B*#!dy Alt-Right LLs. ;-)
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

because he wasn't entitled to do so, and his work would have been criticized?

Quote Originally Posted by cube View Post
    While I'm sawing through the offending branches, tenant arrives home, dons his trusty wellies and he and a mate proceed to be extremely helpful in assisting with chop of said branches, mentioning how it will be better driving down the drive without the branches rubbing against the car.
    Sounds like a good tenant, to me. Notifies you and then pitches in to help when you respond appropriately.

Any refreshments offered, while you were there?
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Because it is your job and responsibility as Landlord ?

I hope you offered him a beer or two (or whatever was appropriate) for giving you a hand with the job ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    Because it is your job and responsibility as Landlord ?

I hope you offered him a beer or two (or whatever was appropriate) for giving you a hand with the job ?
    Interesting point - where does gardening end and the LL's responsibility start?

No beers were harmed in the chopping of these trees.
    DFTBA

Hi SMH,

Its great that you have a tenant that is willing to volunteer his services for general maintenance, however although you might be saving money on repairs my advice is don't let them do that as he / she will always have the expectation that you 'owe' them either subsidised rent or a favour which will benefit them monetary.

As per the act tenants aren't obligated to do maintenance......

Hope that helps,

F
    Fraser Wilkinson
    www.managemyrental.co.nz
    Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    Hi SMH,

Its great that you have a tenant that is willing to volunteer his services for general maintenance, however although you might be saving money on repairs my advice is don't let them do that as he / she will always have the expectation that you 'owe' them either subsidised rent or a favour which will benefit them monetary.

As per the act tenants aren't obligated to do maintenance......

Hope that helps,

F
    I'd imagine there are many health & safety issues here too, particularly with the relatively new H&S laws that have come in. If the tenant gets hurt carrying out maintenance then I can imagine Worksafe or whoever having an absolute field day - especially if the relevant safety equipment was not supplied. Even the original context of this thread - laymen working with trees near powerlines - gives me the heebie jeebies....

can someone clarify.................?

does the H and S act apply to a occupan/homeownert doing maintenance not for payment?

It's stories like this that are one step away from being a stuff headline, the insulation on LV service cable is there more to protect the cable than what touches it.

Thread Information