• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by John the builder View Post
    can someone clarify.................?

does the H and S act apply to a occupan/homeownert doing maintenance not for payment?
    I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of health & safety laws, but I do know they are starting to get a bit much.

When we were selling my parents' house, the listing agent had to deploy additional agents to assist with the open days. This was because the house had a pool, and even though the pool was fenced in accordance with the relevant legislation, there was no guarantee that prospective buyers or their children would be safe from drowning. One agent stood by the pool gate to ensure that any errant children were not inadvertently let into the pool area without supervision by adults leaving the pool area, whilst another agent supervised a deck area on the other side of the house - the deck had a drop to the ground of less than one metre so did not legally need a guard rail, but nevertheless the real estate agency said they had a duty of care to ensure that anyone attending the open home was made aware of the fall risk before stepping onto the deck.

Seriously, I am not joking....

I recently had double glazing installed at one of my rentals. The windows cost around $8000 including installation labour, however the cost for scaffolding, and an approved safety barrier between the workers and the overhead power wires at the front of the building, added another $3500 to the cost of the job. I am clearly in the wrong industry!

But, but, SimonW, this is all going to make housing more affordable, dontcha know?
    Try Radenbrea Studios for hand-made designer jewellery. Especially if you're looking for a great gift for your lady love.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    But, but, SimonW, this is all going to make housing more affordable, dontcha know?
    Unfortunately, these rules were put in place by the previous government who had no aim to make them any more affordable !

The thread on this is interesting reading... First, it is not the tenants' responsibility to do your maintenance and what a good guy to pitch in and help. He did the RIGHT thing by contacting you first - it's YOUR property, not his. Had he gone ahead and pruned without your knowledge, the fact you've complained he didn't just do it himself shows you may have a 'skewed' view on how things should be approached. There's always the risk you may have ended up annoyed he did work on your property without telling you, or in your view, chopped too much off or whatever... Its SAFER for tenants to always contact LL's first, that way they cannot be held responsible if their LL has a different opinion on how it should have been done or if anything goes wrong etc - I'm at a loss as to why you don't seem to understand that? And FJW - you are assuming all tenants will want something back? Some MAY do but certainly not all; simply because some people are in a position to have to rent their home it does not automatically make them not nice people!? I agree some MAY want something back but as in this case with the tenant helping, they may just be good, reasonable and/or helpful people and why some LL's always assume the worst and lump ALL tenants in to the s*** tenant bag is sad - they are not all like that and I am speaking from my own experience of having two sets of wonderful tenants - for which I am very grateful.

Don't get me wrong - I was quite prepared to go there and sort out the problem myself - it was just the conversation was strange at the time.

I'd still like to know where gardening ends and maintenance begins.
    DFTBA

Perhaps there's some obscure 1947 legislation that specifies at what diameter a branch will need to be such that: less than = gardening; greater than = maintenance.
    Try Radenbrea Studios for hand-made designer jewellery. Especially if you're looking for a great gift for your lady love.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Thread Information