X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers target home buyer deposits through lawyers, real estate agents

Beware
    Scammers target home buyer deposits through lawyers, real estate agents

Home buyers are being targeted by a new scam which tricks them into paying their deposit money to fraudsters instead of a legitimate trust account.
    Banking Ombudsman Nicola Sladden says real estate agents and lawyers are being targeted in a sophisticated "invoice scam" in which people hack into the email of those companies and then send out legitimate-looking invoices.

Source: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-...ectid=12095492
    Last edited by donna; 26-07-2018, 05:45 PM. Reason: only paste a sentence or two and then the link to the source for all news items

Umm I've heard of this before - not sure it's a 'new' scam and a quick search online confirms it - the issuing of fake invoices was first mentioned by Netsafe in 2016.

However a reminder to be vigilant is always welcomed. It's easy to believe an email is the real deal if it's got a bank logo etc. I'm less likely to open any invoice attachment - I prefer to click the online version of it and check it's legit and from the sender etc.

With emails I make sure I read the email message header and to view the sender email address and look for the 'domain name' in the email address. It too may look legit but there will be some anomaly that shouts scam or spammer with the domain name not an exact match.

Also hover your mouse over images and links within the email for emails that want you to view invoices etc and you'll see the URL - if it's not to the source site of the sender (that you know and are expecting the email) - don't click it.

Finally never open attachments without first getting confirmation from the sender (who you know and if you don't - ditch the email).

Where people get caught out is they're in too much of a rush - with so many scams etc take your time with your email so you don't put yourself in harms way accidentally - especially true for viruses etc.

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Another - possibly minor - point is deleting (dodgy) attachments.

My email program has the option (that I use) to truly delete, as opposed to move to the trash / recycle bin / whatever.

Comment

Yes good point and I'm using AVG AntiVirus - with the email scan always on so it grabs the dodgy stuff before I see it in most cases.

cheers,

Donna
        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
        X