Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some think an appartment is not covered by the RTA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some think an appartment is not covered by the RTA.

A property investor with five rental apartments in Auckland, who did not want to be named, said he too preferred "flexible arrangements" with his tenants.

His tenants are mainly international students or temporary migrants on work visas who enter flexible agreements which did not require them to pay any bonds.

"I treat them like short-term tenants because while it make sense to have them in the winter months, I will make more money from my properties if I used them as Airbnb in the summer," the landlord said.

"My tenants are happy because they have more money in the pocket, and I am happy because I have the flexibility to ask them to go with just a week's notice if I need my apartments."

Keith Ng said tenants and landlords who entered "grey market arrangements" would not be reflected in the tenancy data.

INTERACTIVE: Rents in central Auckland suburbs are being knocked off a perch - analysis.

Seems this Landlord thinks his apartments are not covered under the RTA. A weeks notice to leave.

Who thinks this is allowed?

is airbnb covered by the RTA?

are hotels?

seems if the accommodation agreement is short-term, <90 days, the RTA doesn't come in to it

but i agree this article seems to imply short-term rentals can be rolled over for ever

however things change after 90 days

7Short fixed-term tenancies

(1)
    Subject to subsection (2), nothing in sections 25 to 28 and 51 shall apply to a fixed-term tenancy of not more than 90days if, before the commencement of the tenancy, the parties agree in writing that the tenancy will not be extended or renewed to give a total length of the term in excess of 90 days.

(2)
    Where such a tenancy is extended or renewed, whether once or more than once, with the result that the total length of the term exceeds 90 days, on the expiry of that period of 90 days the tenancy shall become subject to sections 25 to 28and 51 (as well as all the other provisions).

Last edited by eri; 23-07-2018, 08:55 AM.
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Working...
    X