X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation specs for 2006 House?

Hi
    My rental was a new build in 2006.
    Does anyone know what the specs were for insulation back then?
    House is in Papakura
    Thanks
    Richard

the 1st question is

- what were the minimal specs in papakura in 2006, before the supercity

the 2nd question is

- was it built to them?

can you get into the ceiling to look for insulation?

can you look under the floor, can you measure the floor thickness?

can you pop out a wall socket to measure the jib thickness and look for insulation?
    Last edited by eri; 17-07-2018, 05:03 PM.
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Hi Richard,

my understanding is that installation can actually reduce over time. So 12 years later, the insulation might not be the same as when it was built!

Ross
      Book a free chat here
      Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Hi
        Property manager is talking about getting someone in to inspect the insulation and make any recommendations.
        You can almost guarantee that they will suggest topping up the existing insulation.
        Today I got the property file and even that doesn't show any insulation spec.
        Just says that the insulation should be installed "to the requirements of branz bulletin 357"
        Richard

Comment

Were the plans in the property file? If so, are there insulation specs written on the plans?
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
            Were the plans in the property file? If so, are there insulation specs written on the plans?
            Hi
            Will have another look after work.
            Thanks
            Richard

Comment

what about asking BRANZ?

have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                But ask BRANZ what? You'd need to know what insulation or whatever you have to be able to ask them anything wouldn't you?
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by richard56 View Post
                  Hi
                  Property manager is talking about getting someone in to inspect the insulation and make any recommendations.
                  You can almost guarantee that they will suggest topping up the existing insulation.
                  Today I got the property file and even that doesn't show any insulation spec.
                  Just says that the insulation should be installed "to the requirements of branz bulletin 357"
                  Richard
                  Sounds like the property manager is trying to create another revenue stream - don't fall for it.
                  As previously advised, the plans on the property file should state what was spec'd.
                  Alternately, if you can track down the builder (shouldn't be hard for a 12 year old house) they may still have plans/be able to advise what was installed.
                  Failing that, refer to the building code which states that climate zones 1 and 2 should have minimum of R2.9 in roof, R1.9 in walls and R1.3 underfloor. If the house has code compliance, you could safely say that the house is insulated to at least these figures with reasonable certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonW View Post
                    Sounds like the property manager is trying to create another revenue stream - don't fall for it.
                    As previously advised, the plans on the property file should state what was spec'd.
                    Alternately, if you can track down the builder (shouldn't be hard for a 12 year old house) they may still have plans/be able to advise what was installed.
                    Failing that, refer to the building code which states that climate zones 1 and 2 should have minimum of R2.9 in roof, R1.9 in walls and R1.3 underfloor. If the house has code compliance, you could safely say that the house is insulated to at least these figures with reasonable certainty.
                    Hi
                    Your right..I won't be believing any "Top Up" recommendation from anyone.
                    House is super warm and tenants are happy .

" refer to the building code "
                    Problem is what was the building code back in 2006?
                    House definitely has code compliance..I saw that in the property file.
                    Thanks
                    Richard

Comment

I don't think you need to do anything.
                      Running around asking what the specs were back in 2006 is wasting your time for no benefit to you.
                      Tell your property manager that you think the house is up to spec for insulation.
                      You don't need to do anything else.
                      If someone can point out why your house is below spec then do something about it at that time.
                      Until then, do nothing and maintain it is up to spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                        I don't think you need to do anything.
                        Running around asking what the specs were back in 2006 is wasting your time for no benefit to you.
                        Tell your property manager that you think the house is up to spec for insulation.
                        You don't need to do anything else.
                        If someone can point out why your house is below spec then do something about it at that time.
                        Until then, do nothing and maintain it is up to spec.
                        Hi
                        Yes that is what I intend to do now.
                        The property file doesn't have anything at all in it.
                        So as far as I am concerned the insulation is OK
                        Thanks for the suggestions.
                        Richard

Comment

Hi Richard,

I think you should check what your obligations are. My understanding is that you currently need an insulation statement with each tenancy agreement. It sounds like you don't have one, and therefore need to get one.

We have just had one done for a similar age house, and it was well below the requirements. We then had a choice, do it now or before 1/7/19. We topped up the insulation now.

Ross
                          Book a free chat here

Comment

Upon looking slightly further - from 1/7/16 you need to declare the extent of insulation on all new tenancy agreements, from this date.

So if you have had a new tenancy agreement since 1/7/16, you need to show what insulation the rental has, which is normally an insulation statement.

Note - I'm not great at this stuff, as our property manager looks after this for us.

Ross
                            Book a free chat here

Comment

Working...
                            X